UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Inter-FPGA Grid Communication Network?

Is anyone aware of a standard architecture or IP for communicating among FPGAs in a grid topology? I'm currently looking at deploying a grid of Artix-7 devices among multiple boards, with high-speed LVDS buses forwarding information from one FPGA, to the next.

I'd like to use some custom logic to automatically detect whether a packet is meant for the current FPGA, or if it needs to be forwarded to the next. I'd also like to use SERDES in the I/O pins to get high bandwidth (and maintain low latency). Since I don't have GTXs on the small Artix device, I need to forward a clock so I probably also need to use the local clocking resources of the tiles. Pushing the speed might require some fine-tuning of IODELAYs and BITSLIP circuitry in the I/Os.

I'm sure all of this is technically feasible, but the level of effort is a little daunting considering my project schedule.

Is there any particular Xilinx IP I should be leveraging to get this done efficiently? I'd love to be able to start with at least an LVDS bus architecture that takes care of all of the low-level clocking, delays, bitslipping, channel bonding, etc. It would save me a lot of time if I could start designing my custom logic at more of a link layer than the PHY layer.

Some of my initial research:

Aurora seems to be designed for GTX.

PCI is far too complicated for my point-to-point requirement.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Inter-FPGA Grid Communication Network?

http://bee2.eecs.berkeley.edu/

Before they spun off, and created a commerical product, this was the technology they used in their systems....

You might look at what they did that is in the public domain.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Inter-FPGA Grid Communication Network?

Thanks, Austin. I couldn't find too many details about previously developed IP. It appears as though those interfaces are more of a BYO-application-specific-core.

I did find this: http://www.archescomputing.com/lvds, which looks like it might be applicable.

0 Kudos