UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor sarayzdn
Visitor

Is there any chance to realize software based high power/frequency switching in FPGA?

Hi,

Today, in the world of power electronics, the new semiconductor based technology has come up with GaN/SiC based switching...

My question is: Is there a future where these isolated solutins of finding a material that can handle power delivery vanishes to the time that we can have "Power FPGAs"? Is there any way that FPGAs can realize the power converters in a software basis and actually deliver high ranges of power?

Like, is there any research on realizing an e.g. software based power buck converter with FPGA?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Is there any chance to realize software based high power/frequency switching in FPGA?

I doubt that a "power FPGA" will ever be built. Some reasons:

- For high-power work, you really want to minimize the number of transistors that the power has to go through - no matter how good they are, they're not going to be as efficient as copper wire/traces.  An FPGA invariably puts the signal through a lot of transistors; it's never going to be very efficient.

- Obviously high-power works against high performance. If your transistors are 5mm² (to handle the high power) then your shiny new FPGA is going to have about the same number of resources as the smallest CPLDs you can buy.

- Since FPGAs are all LUT-based, I'm not sure that high-power even makes sense. CPLD architecture (logic gates) might be more reasonable.

With that said, I can imagine a manufacturer doing a dual-die solution with a conventional FPGA plus a bunch of big MOSFETs all in one package, to make a highly-configurable "smart SMPS" chip. Basically take one of the current PMBUS chips, remove all the hard-wired logic from that, and stick an FPGA in that space instead.

0 Kudos