Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Golwendir
Visitor
Visitor

Life time of Hardware Description Languages

Hi everyone;

I am a Digital Design engineer with 2 years of experience. I have been working with VHDL for 2 years. With new hardware solutions like Versal, I started to think that VHDL might cease to exist in ~10 years. Since, Xilinx is trying to attract more developers to their platforms, they pay more attention to software programming languages like C /C++ and Python. I thought it is a good thing to discuss the future of Hardware Description Languages. Also, I am trying to find a right path for my career.

What do you think about this topic ? Will HDLs always have a place or will they become like Fortran?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@Golwendir ,

In 10 more years things will be very much different. It is very likely that the compilers for HLS using C/C++ will become more smarter and efficient such that they will be able to generate almost cycle accurate RTLs for a given design (i am very interested to see in the future how DDR based interfaces can be modeled using a HLS based language). Also HDL based languages will remain, because your the HLS based design first gets converted to a RTL based design and then it gets translated in to a netlist.

Nevertheless I vote for learning a HDL (VHDL/SystemVerilog) and one HLS language right now, because there are designs which take less dev and test time when modeled using a HLS languages and there are designs which absolutely cannot be modeled with HLS languages.

Regarding learning a scripting language, 10 yrs ago it was Perl and now Python has taken over.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem
Asking for solutions to problems via PM will be ignored.