UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

MCS Vs BIN file

What is the difference between these two file formats (MCS Vs BIN) ? why PROM file formatter (11.5) is not supporting to generate the .bin file (for slave serial mode configuration) ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: MCS Vs BIN file

s,

http://www.fpga-faq.com/archives/33100.html#33108

Is a good discussion of what is going on.

25 years ago, eeproms were programmed with prom programmers, that had Intel format, Motorola format, and various other formats.  The eeproms made by Intel and Motorola are long gone, and so are the programmers, but the file formats remain, and became defacto standards.

The .mcs, .rbt, and others are ASCII representations (ASCI 1 = 31H, and ASCII 0=30H) with headers, comments, etc.

The .bin, .bit are binary files:  all single bits, 1's and zeros.

All formats have evolved over the years, and are still used.  New companies make programmers, and all the old formats get supported.

So a .bin is used to program the part using an Impact programming cable (JTAG or parallel), and a .rbt is the file readback when doing averify Impact (also provide a .bin readback file which is not equal to the .bin file used to program the part!).

The .mcd might get used to program a prom for the final board, to configure the part upon power on.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

The MCS file is a HEX file where two ASCII chars are used to represent each byte of data.  And the binary file of course just contains just the raw byte stream, in sequence.

So the MCS file seems less efficient, because it takes 2 bytes to represent 1 byte.  But it has a couple of advantages (1) It has a checksum at the end of each line for integrity.  (2)  Each line includes the address where the line should be located in memory.

So for example, if a MCS file contains a few segments located far apart in address space, it can be small while the equivalent binary file might be huge, because it would have a lot of 0x00 or 0xFFs to fill the space between segments.

You can easily convert a MCS file to a binary file using an old command line utility called HEX2BIN.EXE  You can find on the Keil webste at

http://www.keil.com/download/docs/7.asp

Jim

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the details.

0 Kudos
Observer sndp.swamy
Observer

what is long form / abbreviation of the file MCS and BIN ? 

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

what is long form / abbreviation of the file MCS and BIN ?

I don't understand this question.  Please rephrase it, or explain your question.

Thank you,

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

I think he's asking what "MCS" and "BIN" are standing for (i.e., what they are acronyms for).

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I think he's asking what "MCS" and "BIN" are standing for (i.e., what they are acronyms for).

BIN is a contraction of binary, it is not an acronym (in this context, at least).

MCS may or may not be an acronym.  Intel developed the .MCS file format in the 1980s for their lines of MCS development systems (e.g. MCS-80, MCS-86).

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@eteam00 wrote:

BIN is a contraction of binary, it is not an acronym (in this context, at least).

MCS may or may not be an acronym.  Intel developed the .MCS file format in the 1980s for their lines of MCS development systems (e.g. MCS-80, MCS-86).

- Bob Elkind

MCS isn't an acroynm, it's an initialism.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

@bassman59 wrote:

@eteam00 wrote:

- Bob Elkind

MCS isn't an acroynm, it's an initialism.

That's debatable.

If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
Historian
Historian

Wow, that Wikipedia article was long and impenetrable.

I was taught that if you pronounce it as a word, like "radar" and "laser," then it's an acronym. If you say each letter ("FBI," "ATM," "LCD"), then it's an initialism.

There are some pathological examples. Is "LED" an initialism or acronym? I always pronounce the three letters and never say it as a word. So it's an initialism. Some people say the word.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Sorry, I should have been more specific:

Although the term acronym is widely used to describe any abbreviation formed from initial letters,   most dictionaries define acronym to mean "a word" in its original sense,     while some include a secondary indication of usage, attributing to acronym the same meaning as that of initialism.

Summary: while you have most reference books on your side, some disagree. Not that it really matters anyway ;-)

Adrian

0 Kudos
Newbie jagsmani

hi 

MCS means Micro Controllrer Series . 

BIN means Binary file

inorder to generate the idf file of iMPACTin the PROM File Formatter process we will give these two files as input files

0 Kudos