Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

ML605

Hi all,

I'm designing a board I need to use both HPC and LPC connectors.

Where can I find the mechnical schems so to place the connectors properly?

Thanks,

Erez

0 Kudos
10 Replies
eteam00
Professor
Professor

You can find the ML605 board layout Gerber files here.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you so much!

One last question, are the HPC and LPC pins are all differential?

If not, how many pins can be used as single ended?

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

With the exception of the MGT and I2C pins, all of the pins may be used as single ended or differential.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

In pages 59 regarding the HPC and 64 regarding the LPC it says only differential configuration is available.

I'm confused...

Please advise me what is true.

THANKS

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

In pages 59 regarding the HPC and 64 regarding the LPC it says only differential configuration is available.  I'm confused...

UG534 v1.6, page 59:

The 10 x 40 rows of a FMC HPC connector provides connectivity for:
160 single-ended or 80 differential user-defined signals

UG534 v1.6, page 65

The 10 x 40 rows of a FMC LPC connector provides connectivity for:
• 68 single-ended or 34 differential user defined signals

I do not understand your confusion, might you please explain your uncertainty?  The guidance which Ed (McGett) gave you is correct.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

The confusion starts in the lines below the ones you stated which say in pg. 59:

Of the above signal and clock connectivity capability, the ML605 implements the following

subset:

• 78 differential user defined pairs:

• 34 LA pairs

• 24 HA pairs

• 20 HB pairs

• 8 MGTs

and pg. 65:

Of the above signal and clock connectivity capability, the ML605 implements the full set:

• 34 differential user-defined pairs:

• 34 LA pairs

What you described is the FMC HPC and FMC LPC standard yet, as I understand it, ML605 doesn't implement this standard, only partially.

Am I correct?

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Your question is quite reasonable, for someone who is not experienced in FPGA design.

FPGAs afford considerable flexibility in the configuration of their IO pins.   Each pair of IO pins can be separately configured for either differential IOs or for single-ended IO.  Each differential pair can be configured as an input, output, or bidirectional pair.  Pin pairs which are configured (by the designer) as single-ended IOs can be individually configured as any combination of input, output, or bidirectional IOs.

Mcgett's advice still stands.

Does this clear up your remaining confusion?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

First of all - lots of thanks to you all for your answers.

It sure helps a lot. yet just to be sure - I can use the ml605 with 156 single ended pins on the HPC con

and 68 single ended pins on the LPC con.

Am I correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> the ml605 with 156 single ended pins on the HPC con

> and 68 single ended pins on the LPC con.

Yes, you can do this. 

I am somewhat concerned about your approach to the FMC interface.  The FMC interface is made up of 3 buses, LA, HA and HB.   PCB trace length matching happens within each bus for each FMC connector.  If you are attempting to create a single 224 pin bus you may have timing problems due to skew between busses and between FMC connectors.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
erez.benari
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks guys.

I will take your words in consideration.

0 Kudos