UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie rmain_emb

Migrating from Actel APA600 to Xilinx FPGA

Jump to solution

I've been asked to recomend a suitable target to migrate from an Actel APA600 to a Xilinx FPGA product. The APA600 is in a PQ208 package, so IO requirement is pretty tame. The design is pure logic (there is no need of DSPs or high speed digtial IOs, embedded MACs, etc. ).

Can I assume Xilinx "Logic Cells" are roughly equivalent to Actel "Tiles"?

If so, the APA600 has 600,000 "Tiles", so I'd be looking at something like a Virtex-6 LXT, maybe XC6VLX550T, even though the pin count is WAY excessive (840 or 1200)?

Thanks,

R. Main

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Migrating from Actel APA600 to Xilinx FPGA

Jump to solution

The Spartan 6 LX25 should be a safe bet for logic capacity.  Perhaps you should check other

requirements like I/O standards (Spartan 6 supports a variety of standards up to 3.3V), and

speed.

Depending on your LUT vs flip-flop usage, it is likely that you could fit the design in a smaller

part.  You might want to try using the ISE webpack to see how your design synthesizes into

Spartan 6 LUTs and flip-flops.  Of course, how easy this is depends on how much you made

use of Actel-specific library elements.  A pure HDL design should port fairly easily.  Be careful

when using the "Logic Cells" numbers in the Spartan 6 Family Overview.  The actual number

of 6-input LUT's is smaller than the Logic Cells number, but there are twice as many flip-flops

as LUT's.  So going from a more standard 4-LUT+Flop architecture is not a one-to-one

conversion to logic cells.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Newbie rmain_emb

Jump to solution

Sorry, the APA600 has 600,000 GATES, or 21,504 "Tiles".

If Tiles = Flip Flops, then the Spartan 6 LX would work, maybe a XC6LSX25?

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The Spartan 6 LX25 should be a safe bet for logic capacity.  Perhaps you should check other

requirements like I/O standards (Spartan 6 supports a variety of standards up to 3.3V), and

speed.

Depending on your LUT vs flip-flop usage, it is likely that you could fit the design in a smaller

part.  You might want to try using the ISE webpack to see how your design synthesizes into

Spartan 6 LUTs and flip-flops.  Of course, how easy this is depends on how much you made

use of Actel-specific library elements.  A pure HDL design should port fairly easily.  Be careful

when using the "Logic Cells" numbers in the Spartan 6 Family Overview.  The actual number

of 6-input LUT's is smaller than the Logic Cells number, but there are twice as many flip-flops

as LUT's.  So going from a more standard 4-LUT+Flop architecture is not a one-to-one

conversion to logic cells.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

I forgot to add that when you look at the device / package table in the S6 family overview,

the devices in the same package are footprint-compatible.  So you could for instance

start with a LX25 and if you find that your design fits in a LX16, then you could just replace

the chip without redesigning the board.  The device pinout tables list devices by

package, and indicate if some I/O pins are not available for certain footprint-compatible

parts.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos