Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

I have a burning question:

What is the Min energy used for switching the FPGA on and performing an operations, execute then switch off/ idle?

Looking at a low cost FPGA or CPLD (for mass production) 

Anyone here that has experiences in that or where I should look?

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

Depends what the operation is, obviously.

If the operation is "set pin C12 to logic 1", then a CoolRunner II is likely to be the lowest power Xilinx option. You don't waste power with configuration (because the CRII is flash-based), and you don't waste static power because there's hardly any circuitry in there.

If the operation is "identify all objects in 3000 hours of UQHD video" then I suspect the lowest total energy consumed will be the smallest Kintex UltraScale+ that can fit the required processing hardware in it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

It is really great, 13 μA quiescent current and on 125Mhz 50mA x 3.3V for 256 macrocells and around 20$ per unit

I wonder how many coolrunner chips I need for 1 Artix7 and 210K Logiccells and around 50$ per unit

the XC7A50T has ICCINTQ + 120 ICCAUXQ + 40 ICCOQ + 40 mA per bank ICCBRAMQ + 60 mA ~ 500mW  in nomal operation and when in suspended state how much power does it consume?

in term for synthesis my design has hardly no flip flops

I can simply synthesise and compare the seize and use the Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE) tools I am sorry for my question I should have just looked at the DC and AC Switching Characteristics Datasheets, then syntesise and then use the XPE.

I'm all set thanks for the help anyways

0 Kudos