UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

I have a burning question:

What is the Min energy used for switching the FPGA on and performing an operations, execute then switch off/ idle?

Looking at a low cost FPGA or CPLD (for mass production) 

Anyone here that has experiences in that or where I should look?

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

Depends what the operation is, obviously.

If the operation is "set pin C12 to logic 1", then a CoolRunner II is likely to be the lowest power Xilinx option. You don't waste power with configuration (because the CRII is flash-based), and you don't waste static power because there's hardly any circuitry in there.

If the operation is "identify all objects in 3000 hours of UQHD video" then I suspect the lowest total energy consumed will be the smallest Kintex UltraScale+ that can fit the required processing hardware in it.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Min Power operations - from switching on, execute to switch off/ idle

It is really great, 13 μA quiescent current and on 125Mhz 50mA x 3.3V for 256 macrocells and around 20$ per unit

I wonder how many coolrunner chips I need for 1 Artix7 and 210K Logiccells and around 50$ per unit

the XC7A50T has ICCINTQ + 120 ICCAUXQ + 40 ICCOQ + 40 mA per bank ICCBRAMQ + 60 mA ~ 500mW  in nomal operation and when in suspended state how much power does it consume?

in term for synthesis my design has hardly no flip flops

I can simply synthesise and compare the seize and use the Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE) tools I am sorry for my question I should have just looked at the DC and AC Switching Characteristics Datasheets, then syntesise and then use the XPE.

I'm all set thanks for the help anyways

0 Kudos