Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j9diane
Visitor
Visitor

Multiple .exe's Stop Working

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone would know why whenever I try to do certain things in ISE, the action is seemingly cancelled and Windows comes up with a message saying "*.exe has stopped working....."

For example, it definitely comes up when I try to run any of the following:

xlcm.exe (License Configuration Manager)

xinfo.exe (XInfo System Checker)

map.exe

My operating system is Windows Vista and I am using ISE Design Suite 13.1. Previously, I had been able to do all these things on this same computer using Suite 11. Sorry if this is a DUH question but I guess I am just losing my patience with all the bugs I am experiencing. I'm spending more time trying to get the tool working and absolutely no time using it on projects.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

I'm spending more time trying to get the tool working and absolutely no time using it on projects.

Two suggestions (maybe 5):

1.  Once you have a working setup, don't change it (no updates to the next major release) until your design is DONE.

2.  More than one release of the tools can be available for use on your system.  One of the smart moves Xilinx has made with their toolset.  If 13.1 is broken in some critical aspect, you can revert to 11.x (or 12.x) simply by running the the other release.  There may be conflicts, but you can manage them (e.g. project files, compiled cores).

3.  Norton Anti-Virus went ape-nuts on my system, thinking every Xilinx .exe file was Trojan-infected.  By the time it was done helping me, none of my Xilinx tools worked.  I was getting ".exe has stopped working" messages (Xilinx and MicroSoft sometimes contend for the 'least informative error messages' trophy).  I switched to AVG anti-virus, re-installed the Xilinx tools, and I'm back up and running.

4.  If you aren't caught up on your Windows .NET Framework updates, you need to do this.

5.  ISE 12.4 is less buggy, and quite up to date.  ISE 13.1 is a first release at a major revision.  Unless you are running Windows 7 or designing with 'Gen 7' FPGAs, do you really need 13.1?   Or do you just need some extra drama and excitement in your life?

I'm not an expert on such matters.  Of the suggestions above, the first one is the most important if you want to get your project done on time and retain (what's left of) your sanity.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
j9diane
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you very much for your insight Bob..... my issue seems to be #3 (Norton gone wild). I am able to run all of the aforementioned Xilinx .exe's now with no problem at all   :)

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

Glad to hear you are back up and running.

You shouldn't go without AV protection.  I tried several candidates to replace Norton, and for my system the winner is AVG.  They allow a 30-day try-before-you-buy free trial period.  If you shop around (hint: ebay), you can probably buy it from an online store cheaper than buying it direct from AVG...  as low as $30 or less

I had been a Norton customer for many many years.  I'm pretty comfortable with AVG.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
sonicwave
Explorer
Explorer

I can recommend Avast also as an AV solution - I think the pricing is similar to AVGs (free for home use) - and I've seen a couple of tests where it actually beats most AV programs in detecting viruses, and at the same time uses only very little computer resources... It is certainly better than the Sophos 7 solution I'm stuck with on my work pc ;)

0 Kudos