UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor betoe
Visitor

Need help about what is the best for my picture quality design (TV manufacturing test equipment).

Hi to all you.

Basically, i have LVDS data with video information i want to analyze. Also i have an LVDS to DVI/HDMI converter.

I want to send to my tested board some patterns, then get video signal (LVDS or DVI), get a frame and compare it with a reference.

One of my designs is to convert LVDS to DVI, then convert DVI to parallel data with a video digitizer from Analog devices, and send the parallel data to a DSP (TI or Analog devices).

But i would like to check about Xilinx products. I have programmed a spartan 3E test board, and im interested to know if there is some development board that i can buy and test if can fix my needs.

Hope im clear enough. Also admins, if you think this must be in another forum, please move it.In my understanding, this was the best place for this.

Thanks by your attention.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: Need help about what is the best for my picture quality design (TV manufacturing test equipment).

Hi,

LVDS describes just the voltage level used for representing '0's and '1' and it is used for many kinds of Digital Video connections.

(DVI, HDMI, CameraLink etc.)

So, what is the LVDS  sata source you mentioned? And in which way do you need to "convert" this data to DVI/HDMI? (different format?)

For converting DVI signals to and from parallel RGB there are chips available from TI (eg. TL401/TL410)

and there are some boards available from Inrevium that use these converters with XILINX FPGAs.

They also provide a DVI to DVI reference design that stores an incoming DVI Frame into DDR Ram and then sends it out over DVI.

It is surely possible to redesign this into a pattern generator and compare unit.

If you want to send/receive data from a generic LVDS Source there's also a reference design provided that uses some xapp-IPs.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Need help about what is the best for my picture quality design (TV manufacturing test equipment).

If you can manage to get the Spartan-3E Display Development Kit from Xilinx then I think it can help you out. But as I was going through there website now this one is obsoulet.

You can check out http://www.logicbricks.com/ - I think you can get some boards there which can be helpfull for your purpose for testing LVDS to DVI Conversion on Spartan3E Platform.

What I understood, on Spartan3E you are converting LVDS to DVI. Then using some Analog Device chip you are converting DVI to Digital RGB (Parallel Data), wchich you are feeding to DSP.

Why not you are taking out the the Digital RGB Data direct from the Spartan3E device, As to convert LVDS to DVI, you must be converting LVDS to Digital RGB and then Digital RGB to DVI.

Shantanu Sarkar
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shantanu-sarkar/0/33a/335
0 Kudos
Visitor betoe
Visitor

Hi, thanks by your replies.

shantanu75 wrote:

You can check out http://www.logicbricks.com/ - I think you can get some boards there which can be helpfull for your purpose for testing LVDS to DVI Conversion on Spartan3E Platform.

I will check that website, thanks for the link.

shantanu75 wrote:

What I understood, on Spartan3E you are converting LVDS to DVI. Then using some Analog Device chip you are converting DVI to Digital RGB (Parallel Data), wchich you are feeding to DSP.

Why not you are taking out the the Digital RGB Data direct from the Spartan3E device, As to convert LVDS to DVI, you must be converting LVDS to Digital RGB and then Digital RGB to DVI.

We have the LVDS to DVI converter because it was the original design. We bought it in about 900 USD, from astro systems. Part number is IA-542.

Right now i dont have the technical skills to convert by myself LVDS to DVI. I dont know how is the LVDS data structure and i dont have measurement systems to analyze it. So i think its ok to buy this part of the design.

For picture analyze of the DVI signal, i have not bought a DSP but im searching for some kind of device that can help me at a reasonable cost. I think FPGA's and DSP fit on this category.

This board seems nice, i will check the complete specs:

http://www.logicbricks.com/html/logicraft2.htm

0 Kudos
Visitor betoe
Visitor

eilert wrote:

So, what is the LVDS  sata source you mentioned? And in which way do you need to "convert" this data to DVI/HDMI? (different format?)

The LVDS source is a tv video board. I think that the system designer decided to convert LVDS to DVI because its easily to manipulate, but im not sure.

For converting DVI signals to and from parallel RGB there are chips available from TI (eg. TL401/TL410)

and there are some boards available from Inrevium that use these converters with XILINX FPGAs.

I have the TL401 spec,seems to be useful for my app.

Once having the RGB parallel data, i want to recreate the image on a DSP image output buffer, maybe resize it using some kind of interpolation. And having the original RGB data, compare it with a reference data (how must be the image), then decide if picture quality its OK.

Im a bit afraid that data will not match perfectly even if the human eye cannot perceive difference with image displayed on screen. But only doing some tests i can probe this.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

What I understood U are using standard LVDS to DVI convertor from astro systems (Part number : IA-542), and then have plan to convert the DVI to Parallel RGB using some standard chip like TL401.

Then on the parallel RGB data you want apply some image processing Algo using FPGA / DSP and want to check out the results. If my understanding is wrong then pl clarify.

So if it is the story, then the input to the FPGA/DSP is parallel RGB and obviously the Output will be parallel RGB data, which you can carry out with matched impedance connector which most of the standard kits have as an option for extension. 

FYI there are some standard evaluation boards avialable for LVDS Receiver/Transmitter and DVI Receiver/Transmitter. For LVDS I know National Semiconductoe is having some Evaluation Kit. The better way to figure out is through www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com. Then you can check out the website of actual supplier for detailed specification.

Regards,

Sarkar

Shantanu Sarkar
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shantanu-sarkar/0/33a/335
0 Kudos
Visitor betoe
Visitor

shantanu75 wrote: 

What I understood U are using standard LVDS to DVI convertor from astro systems (Part number : IA-542), and then have plan to convert the DVI to Parallel RGB using some standard chip like TL401.

Then on the parallel RGB data you want apply some image processing Algo using FPGA / DSP and want to check out the results. If my understanding is wrong then pl clarify.

Thats correct. ALso im studing some part numbers to avoid IA-542 and use some kind of LVDS to parallel converter. There are some part numbers that i will star to review on monday.

shantanu75 wrote: 

So if it is the story, then the input to the FPGA/DSP is parallel RGB and obviously the Output will be parallel RGB data, which you can carry out with matched impedance connector which most of the standard kits have as an option for extension. 

FYI there are some standard evaluation boards avialable for LVDS Receiver/Transmitter and DVI Receiver/Transmitter. For LVDS I know National Semiconductoe is having some Evaluation Kit. The better way to figure out is through www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com. Then you can check out the website of actual supplier for detailed specification.

Regards,

Sarkar

Thanks by your advice, I started reviewing the National semiconductor website, seems they have nice IC's. I will select IC's that can be useful for my application, then search for evaluation boards.

0 Kudos