Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for Xilinx ISE ver 6.1

Jump to solution

I am using Xilinx ISE Ver 6.1
I have written many programms and test bences in it
The programms are running fine and give me RTL Schematics as well
But what abt their test bences. I have written their test bences but how can i check the code of my test bench.

For example this is code

//dataflow and gate with two inputs
module and2 (x1, x2, z1);
input x1, x2;
output z1;
wire x1, x2;
wire z1;
assign z1 = x1 & x2;
endmodule

and this test bench

1 //and2 test bench
module and2_tb;
reg x1, x2;
5 wire z1;
//display variables
initial
$monitor ("x1 = %b, x2 = %b, z1 = %b", x1, x2, z1);
10 //apply input vectors
initial
begin
#0 x1 = 1'b0;
x2 = 1'b0;
#10 x1 = 1'b0;
x2 = 1'b1;
#10 x1 = 1'b1;
20 x2 = 1'b0;
#10 x1 = 1'b1;
x2 = 1'b1;
25 #10 $stop;
end
//instantiate the module into the test bench
and2 inst1 (
30 .x1(x1),
.x2(x2),
.z1(z1)
);
endmodule
how can i check test becnh and see waveforms in Xilinx ISE

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

You asked this same question, and it was answered 3 or 4 posts ago by awillen.  The answer is still the same.

ISE Webpack costs you nothing.  You must pay to license the other versions.

See the design tools page for the comparison matrix.

If the device you are targeting is supported by the Webpack edition, then by all means start with the Webpack.  It's simple enough to upgrade later, if you need additional features or device support.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

you need some external simulator.

Like Modelsim xe, if you still can get a license.

Otherwise you can try and install Modelsim student edition, but then you have to compile the xilinx libraries manually.

Of course any other simulator (e.g. ghdl) will be ok too. But then there may be no tool integration in the ISE Project manager and you have to run that simulator separately.

ISE6.1 is quite outdated. Is there some special reason that you are still using it?

Actual Webpacks have the ISIM simulator integrated.

Have a nice simulation

Eilert

Thanks for ur reply. You want to say that if i install Xilinx ISE ver 10 or 11 th then my problem will be solved.

Am i right???

Secondly can i get ISE ver 10 or 11 free of cost. The one which is downloaded of about 2 GB size  from Xilinx set, while it suffice my requirement.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Thanks for ur reply. You want to say that if i install Xilinx ISE ver 10 or 11 th then my problem will be solved.

1. Current version is 12.3.  Why would you bother with 10 or 11?

2. No, Eilert did not say that your problem would be solved.  He said that the current ISE Webpack (free download) includes a simulator (ISIM) on which you can run testbenches.  Check the ISE package comparison to verify which devices and families are supported.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Ok thanks

Now i have understood. If i install Latest version 12.3, then i will not require any other software modelsim or other to run my test benches. IS it correct??

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

The latest webpack editions include ISIM, which is a pretty decent simulator but

not quite up to snuff with ModelSim.  I currently use the licensed version, and I

believe there are some limitations on the free webpack edition of ISIM, but

judging from your code snippet, I think you are a long way from reaching these

limits.

The only reason to use an earlier version of Webpack would be device support

for earlier families which were dropped starting at release 11.1  If you are not

using or planning to use these older devices, then by all means use version 12.3

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos

yes 

0 Kudos

What is a difference between free version and licensed version

will free version which i download will fulfill my requirements

0 Kudos
Mentor
Mentor

You can find the difference between the editions on this page: http://www.xilinx.com/tools/designtools.htm

And yes, the Webpack edition contains the ISim simulator. When simulating large designs, it will be rather slow in the free version, but you're far from having this problem.

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot to all for ur replies

0 Kudos

I have downloaded the 12.3 version but when i start to install it gives 6 options

Kindly tell me which one will fulfill my requirement as i need simulator in it

file is attached

Tags (1)
pic.jpg
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

You asked this same question, and it was answered 3 or 4 posts ago by awillen.  The answer is still the same.

ISE Webpack costs you nothing.  You must pay to license the other versions.

See the design tools page for the comparison matrix.

If the device you are targeting is supported by the Webpack edition, then by all means start with the Webpack.  It's simple enough to upgrade later, if you need additional features or device support.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ok thanks a lot

0 Kudos