UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor oma91
Visitor

Newbie - selecting digit and adding one to current digit Spartan 3

Hello everyone

is there a way of selecting a digit being displayed on the Spartan 3's  7 segment display using a push button and adding 1 to it using another push buttons?

I would also like to know if there's a way to make one push button cycle through the digits?

Ive added a rar file of the code I'm editing to create an digital alarm clock. I think the "signal curr        : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);" has something to do with the current value and "signal cd             : std_logic_vector(2 downto 0);" has something to do with changing digits. However I am not quite sure how to go about coding the push buttons (signal pb).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Newbie - selecting digit and adding one to current digit Spartan 3

Read about debouncing a pushbutton first,

But yes, you can do anything you want if you program it properly.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor oma91
Visitor

Thanks for the advice

I have read about debouncing now and im sure it will be helpul but im still unsure about the original questions in my post.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Go get a book on RTL design,

Something like, "FPGA Prototyping by VHDL example" (there is another identical book, except it is done with verilog).

author:  CHU

Read it, work the examples.

Then you will understand how to do digital synchronous logic design in FPGA devices.

At universities and colleges, this is a one semster (quarter) class to learn the fundamentals.

EECS150 is the course number at UC Berkeley (which I taught 38 years ago, and only recently helped them upgrade from older Xilinx FPGA devices to newer ones).

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs150/fa05/Home.php

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos