cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ipunished
Observer
Observer

Number of combinational elements from xilinx implementation report?

Hello,

I was told that when we implement a design in xilinx and the report it generates, from that we can tell how many combinational and how many sequential elements can be used up..

Well ive read the report generated a couple of times and still cant find where this info is written?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

You won't get a "gates used" or "equivalent gates used" tally.  Such numbers have lost their authority after years of misuse and abuse by marketing departments.

What you will get is a "resources used" tally, enumerated in LUTs, registers, slices, BRAMs, etc.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
ipunished
Observer
Observer

misuse? that will be interesting to know how people can misuse that information..

but thanks for the info, at least now I know i dont have to gop through code anymore
0 Kudos
ipunished
Observer
Observer

Ok so I got the fitter report and I can see and understand the registers used.. but what are macrocells, pterms and function block inputs? Can some one please explain what these tghree percentages mean?

Macrocells      Used Pterms  Used Registers Used  Pins Used  Function Block Inputs Used

16/512  (4%) 16/1792  (1%) 0/512  (0%) 32/212  (16%) 16/1280  (2%)

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

You should read the datasheet for the CPLD family you are using.  It includes a diagram of a macrocell.  Lots of other good information in there, as well.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
ipunished
Observer
Observer

will do.. Thanks :)

0 Kudos