Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nulik
Visitor
Visitor

PCI Express x1 & USB 3.0 in Zynq 7020

Hi,

the manufacturers of Zynq 7020 SoC which I am going to buy do not have PCI express x1 neither USB 3.0 support. Can I implement these funcionalities in PL and output the data through GPIO or any other pins? If this is achievable ? Is there any info on that? I have no budget to buy IP cores, so I will be doing all the coding myself, but I need to know if this is technically possible with this hardware. And if it is, how many logic cells would this take for both protocols (aprox) ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Nulik

0 Kudos
2 Replies
robn

Nulik,

USB3.0 and PCIe is defined as a serial interface that requires Gigabit Transceivers (GTs). Unfortunately, the 7020 device you mentioned does not have these GT primitives; in the Zynq-7000 family, only these devices implement GTs:

In addition to the device requiring GTs, you cannot utilize the hardened USB controllers that Zynq provides, as there is not a mechanism to route the ULPI signals to the PL and then using a shim IP to convert it to the GT protocol. 

If you wish to implement these IPs, please consider using the devices I listed above.

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher

To implement PCIe or USB3, you need a transceiver. As you say, 7020 doesn't have either transceiver so you need this chip externally. Consider this part: http://www.nxp.com/products/interface-and-connectivity/interface-and-system-management/pci-express/pcie-physical-layer-phy-devices/pci-express-stand-alone-x1-phy:PX1011B

To talk to it, you just need digital IO which is available in PL.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos