cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe FPGA used for acceleration of c code (with GP/GPU)

Hi,

I will start with a new project.  It involves the use of FPGA and GP/GPU acceleration PCIe boards that will be added to a regular computer or server.  The GPU will be a NVIDIA tesla.  The FPGA board .... has still to be choosen. 

I did see several boards on the market , including the xilinx FPGA boards (ML555, SP605 (which I already have) and a Virtex 6 board... but that one has no price nor reference design).

The idea is then to write some code to in C and use ROCCC or Impulse C  or maybe something else ... .And to use the FPGA and/or GPU as accelerator.

I never used to do this kind of programming and I am trying to find a way how to begin.

Does anyone ever experimented with this kind of programming and boards?  It would be nice to have some advice on which language and operating system to use.

Which board could be the best choose to use? I'm tempted to say ML555 or SP605.  But there are more Xilinx PCIe boards on the market ... but it's not always clear how well they are supported.

Greetings,

Serge

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Observer
Observer

Hi Serge,

By choosing a UBUNTU/Linux-machine, install the ISE-tools from Xilinx and the ROCCC tool.

So configure, build your FPGA, add a softcore to it, so now its possible to execute code on this fpga, then

via the ROCCC-tool you can build your own IP ( C->HDL)  inport it in the XPS-tool under pcore, and generate a bit-file, from now on you can call this hardware accelarator just like a C-function in your application code thats running in the FPGA.

Before do anything, goes to the ROCCC website and looks which version of Linux / Eclips you need

Eclips is needed for the ROCCC tool.

On the website of ROCCC you find all doc who explain in more detail which steps must be taken

www.jacquardcomputing.com

The ROCCC is a free tool, works very nice. Its excellent to build your own IP/hardware accelarator.

UBUNTU use version 10.04

Eclips 4.0

And for Xilinx, only version ISE-12.X is supported by  ROCCC

Reg , Paul

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reply.  I have already tested Impulse C  and then ROCCC.  I am comparing both now... and will try some other ones (autopilot maybe and accelDSP).

ROCCC is indeed very nice and I was amazed how easy I could make a custom PCORE  wit just a few lines code.  The docs are ok. 

But the examples would be nice with a bit more explanation. 

greetings,

Serge

0 Kudos