UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Package delays for DDR3 length matching

Jump to solution

Can I assume an average propagation speed for all signals in a BGA package from the die to the balls?

The reason I'm asking is I would like to convert the package delays (in time) to some "trace length" then add that to my CAD software (Altium) to length-match those signals.

Any better way to do that is welcome, as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Package delays for DDR3 length matching

Jump to solution

If you have the package delays, then converting this to length using your own PCB trace velocity parameters would yield a 'length' value as a stand-in for package delay, which you'd add to the trace length for matching purposes.

Your PCB vendor should be able to tell you your velocity for strip and microstrip. This is stackup- and material-dependent.

In general however it's probably not worth it - you're looking at tens of ps that you can squeeze out.

Can you convince Altium to use delays based on your PCB parameters instead? That's my experience with Allegro anyway.

4 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @johnvivm 

I suggest you to a formula.

Here is the formula to calculate delay time.

Would you use it ?

# micro strip line

delay time [ns/m] = (epsilon + 1)/ + (epsilon -1) /2 * ( 1 + 10 * h / w) ^ -0.5

# strip line

delay time [ns/m] = (epsiton) ^ 0.5 / (3 x 10^8)

[note]

h => height of insulating layer

w => wiring width

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@watari 

That's fine for a PCB where I know all the details about thicknesses and dielectrics, but I don't know what's in between the BGA balls and the die pads

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

If you have the package delays, then converting this to length using your own PCB trace velocity parameters would yield a 'length' value as a stand-in for package delay, which you'd add to the trace length for matching purposes.

Your PCB vendor should be able to tell you your velocity for strip and microstrip. This is stackup- and material-dependent.

In general however it's probably not worth it - you're looking at tens of ps that you can squeeze out.

Can you convince Altium to use delays based on your PCB parameters instead? That's my experience with Allegro anyway.

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

@vortex1601 

That's the conclusion I ended up with in the interim. The real speed and therefore the real lengths within the package don't matter. What matters is the delay, so if those delays are converted to PCB lengths that the CAD package will use with the PCB speed then the delays are reconstructed as to match the original. A bit weird for not using actual values but I believe it works.

0 Kudos