UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Problem with DMA-Audio Demo Project on the Nexys-Video board (I2C pins & SDK)

Hi

There is a demo project for setting up Audio Codec on the Digilent Nexys Board (Artix-7) here. After running the .tcl for project creation there are several problems:

1- The project is not compatible with Vivado 2017.4. I solved its many issues after several tries.

2- There are 6 I2C ports in the MicroBlaze block design for talking to the codec, whereas there should be 2 ports; i.e. SDA & SCL. 

When implementing design, BitGen fails for having no pin location for 6 I2C pins.

Why such an error exist and how should I handle it?

Note: I have designed an IO_BUF which connects 3 pins and makes an inout connection. One for SDA and one for SCL.

3- After bit file generation with mentioned workaround (Not sure it will work), hardware handoff is not generated by VIVADO.

I have to generate it using custom tcl commands found in the xilinx forum here.

4- After forcing export to SDK, the SDK fails to program the FPGA, and says that there is no "download.bit" file.

Ther does exist a bit file, namely "design_1.bit", but the SDK does not build "download.bit" by combining design_1.bit and application program!

Please help on resolving issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Problem with DMA-Audio Demo Project on the Nexys-Video board (I2C pins & SDK)

As a workaround for the 4th problem, I programmed the FPGA from Vivado, and just ran the application from SDK.

0 Kudos

Re: Problem with DMA-Audio Demo Project on the Nexys-Video board (I2C pins & SDK)

Hi @msjatxilinx,

Could you clarify what issues you still have?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks @florentw

My issue is no longer very important, nonetheless I want to have a clean project, which runs without any issues.

I cannot export hardware directly to SDK; i.e. without custom TCL commands. If this could be managed, so that every thing is neat, it would be better.

Is there any way to resolve such issues? 

0 Kudos

HI @msjatxilinx,

I cannot export hardware directly to SDK; i.e. without custom TCL commands.

> Could you give details?

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks @florentw

After implementation, when I want to export hardware to SDK, Vivado complains that "The hardware handoff file (.sysdef) does not exist."

In order to remove this error, I have to manually generate .sysdef file using TCL commands, whenever I run synthesis.

0 Kudos

Hi @msjatxilinx,

Could you try to regenerate the BD output products? It might solve this issue

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks @florentw

Actually I always run "Generate Output Products" before implementation, yet it does not change the situation.

0 Kudos

Hi @msjatxilinx,

Could you share your updated project?

Florent
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks @florentw

Actually the project archive is too large.

Is there some type of archiving similar to Quartus archive (with small size) in Xilinx?

0 Kudos