Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garengllc2
Observer
Observer

Problem with vivado-git to source control project

Jump to solution

I've been trying to do a better job of source control for my Vivado projects and came across this project on github: https://github.com/barbedo/vivado-git

It seems like it should be pretty good, but I am running into a hiccup.  I know that this project isn't a Xilinx initiative, but I thought maybe I might be able to fix my issue by looking at it from Vivado's point of view.  I should mention that I am on Windows 10 and running Vivado 2020.1.

I follow the steps outlined in the github project and it seems to work OK in the beginning, but then I start to see my weirdness.  If I type git status in the tcl window I see:

git status
On branch master

No commits yet

Changes to be committed:
  (use "git rm --cached <file>..." to unstage)
	new file:   .gitignore

<<me snipping the 25 files listed>>

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
	hs_err_pid6052.log

OK, so issue one is the stack trace dump, which of course doesn't really point to any particular issues when I look at it.  I attached it for completeness.

The next issue is when I do "git commit" in the tcl window for the 25 files I've added to the git project (so not a ton), it sits there chugging away at this screen:

garengllc2_0-1613579688643.png

I literally let it sit there for the 3 day weekend, but it did nothing except have the green status bar bounce back and forth.  The sources window always spins for updating as well:

garengllc2_1-1613579786014.png

So at the end of the day, vivado isn't hung per say, the updating arrows keep going in a circle, and the green status bar bounces left to right, but nothing happens.  If I try to cancel the "Tcl Command Line" window, it will hang at that point trying to kill the command and I have to kill the task:

garengllc2_0-1613580648962.png

This is my first time running windows commands through the tcl console.  Am I maybe missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garengllc2
Observer
Observer

Alright, I think I have the/a solution.  First I rolled back a commit on vivado-git.  The most recent commit in that project (as of this typing) was updates to a tcl script to get it inline with 2020.2  Since I am using 2020.1, I decided to roll back a commit to be safe.

And then the important one, I was forgetting to put a comment in when I did a git commit.  I have a feeling that git was responding to the command by asking for a comment for the commit, but since I couldn't see that response, it sat there hung.  By doing git commit -am "initial commit", git was happy and the command went through.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
garengllc2
Observer
Observer

Alright, I think I have the/a solution.  First I rolled back a commit on vivado-git.  The most recent commit in that project (as of this typing) was updates to a tcl script to get it inline with 2020.2  Since I am using 2020.1, I decided to roll back a commit to be safe.

And then the important one, I was forgetting to put a comment in when I did a git commit.  I have a feeling that git was responding to the command by asking for a comment for the commit, but since I couldn't see that response, it sat there hung.  By doing git commit -am "initial commit", git was happy and the command went through.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos