UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Read a (maybe unlock) chip ?

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I want to dump a xilinx chip to make a copy of a board because I can't buy it, the seller closed so I needto do this.

It's a daughter board for a nissan skyline GTR R34 ECU, this board is from technosquare

However if I try to read the chip and if it's lock, will it be corrupted ? (like some protections for CD/DVD game) or Will I just have an ecrypted dump file ? The chip is a XC95144

Thanks for all.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Professor
Professor

Re: Read a (maybe unlock) chip ?

Jump to solution

Reading the chip will not hurt it.  As I recall, these older parts have no encryption, but they might

have a "security fuse" which essentially prevents readback.  If the security feature is set, then

wht you read back will be something like all 1's.  In any case it's useless.  So you can't copy

the chip if the security is set.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

Reading the chip will not hurt it.  As I recall, these older parts have no encryption, but they might

have a "security fuse" which essentially prevents readback.  If the security feature is set, then

wht you read back will be something like all 1's.  In any case it's useless.  So you can't copy

the chip if the security is set.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Most of us are not in the business of helping people clone IP. Sorry.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

I forgot to add that another "feature" of a security fuse is that even if the part is re-programmable,

you must erase the entire part in order to reset the security fuse.  Thus if you try to "unlock"

the chip you will erase it and cannot copy it.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply guys,

I just wanted to be sure (I work on some microchip chip) so I hope the chip have not this fuse...

I must clone it because this board it's not in selling anymore that's why I must do that.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@bigboss59400 wrote:

Thanks for your reply guys,

I just wanted to be sure (I work on some microchip chip) so I hope the chip have not this fuse...

I must clone it because this board it's not in selling anymore that's why I must do that.

You MUST clone it? Regardless of its production status, the company that made the part owns the design and as such you are not entitled to clone it unless they've given you a license to do so.

Having said that, when you fire it up the first time, please video it so we can see your car blow up!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.