cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Recommended books for FPGAs

I am still new to the FPGA industry and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for books to read on FPGA development. I have a list of books I have been using and will include below, but I want to add some more books.  At my current job we use VHDL, but I prefer Verilog. 

• Advance digital design with the Verilog HDL
  • VHDL for logic Sysnthesis
  • Digital Integrated Circuits, a design perspective
  • High-speed digital design, A handbook of b**** magic

So, we cannot use certain phrases here?  I was only trying to type in a title.

Edit:  grammar.

6 Replies
Highlighted

@schumerth

There is plenty of material available in training section of Xilinx website. Explore the below link:

https://www.xilinx.com/training.html

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Hi @schumerth,

Check out this Xilinx Daily Blog Article: "Found! A great introduction to FPGAs—“Digital System Design with FPGA: Implementation Using Verilog and VHDL”"

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted

VHDL:

FreeRange VHDL:   A good beginners book and it is free at <this link>

Xilinx Document ug901 “Synthesis”:  Very readable.  Shows VHDL and Verilog side by side – and it is free

FPGA and Digital:

Virtex Under the Hood:  Coauthored by long-time Forum contributor @austin  -a real nuts and bolts approach to digital and the FPGA.  Contact Austin at austin@xilinx.com.

FPGAs with VHDL: first steps:  by H. DeBlumont.  A copy of this free book is attached to this post.

Papers by Cliff Cummings:  Collect ‘em all (see <this link>).  Very readable and often a myth buster. 

-and finally, if @avrumw writes a book … about anything …, then you need to get that too.

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

FPGA Prototyping by VHDL Examples, Chu

Virtex Under the Hood, Second Edition, Jenkins, Alfke, Lesea (email me for copy:  austin@xilinx.com)  Revised 2017.

Off topic, but useful: (but it is what the future will look like -- processors AND programmable logic will be the norm)

The Zynq Book, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK/Xilinx

Also useful, for some:

FPGA-Based Prototyping Methodology Manual: Best practices in Design-for-Prototyping (FPMM), Amos, Lesea, Richter

My list of favorites.  For VHDL programming, I just use online resources and online examples.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@austin sense you mentioned processors and programmable logic, do have any resources for Microblaze?

Edit:

Thank you everybody for the resources you are providing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

https://www.amazon.com/FPGA-Prototyping-VHDL-Examples-MicroBlaze/dp/1119282748

Also by Chu.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos