cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zubinkumar
Observer
Observer

Reg: Speeding up ISE 10.1 compilation time ... switching to ISE 12.1...

Hi,

I am currently running ISE 10.1 on windows XP, Intel core2 Duo, with a clock speed of 2.33GHz and 3.23GB of ram.

I usually compile designs (make bitfiles) for a Virtex5 FPGA. The time to make the bitfile is about 45 mins.

I was wondering if I kept the same OS and hardware, and switched to ISE 12.1, will it have any effect on the compilation time? Will it help reduce the bitfile generation time? Or should I upgrade my computer hardware as well to work better with 12.1?

Or should I simply upgrade the computer, while keeping ISE 10.1? Will that help reduce the compilation times?

Also, I dont have planahead with ISE 10.1. Will manually floorplanning the FPGA design help reduce the bitfile generation time?

Please let me know ...

Thanks and regards,

Zubin Kumar.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

@zubinkumar wrote:

Hi,

I am currently running ISE 10.1 on windows XP, Intel core2 Duo, with a clock speed of 2.33GHz and 3.23GB of ram.

I usually compile designs (make bitfiles) for a Virtex5 FPGA. The time to make the bitfile is about 45 mins.

I was wondering if I kept the same OS and hardware, and switched to ISE 12.1, will it have any effect on the compilation time? Will it help reduce the bitfile generation time? Or should I upgrade my computer hardware as well to work better with 12.1?

Or should I simply upgrade the computer, while keeping ISE 10.1? Will that help reduce the compilation times?

Also, I dont have planahead with ISE 10.1. Will manually floorplanning the FPGA design help reduce the bitfile generation time?

Please let me know ...

Thanks and regards,

Zubin Kumar.

I don't think any of the actual place-and-route and synthesis stuff for V5 changed significantly between 10 and 12, so just doing that won't make much of a difference.

You should get a new computer -- quad Core i7 machine running Windows7-64 with 16 GB RAM and ISE 14. The new faster machine will be the real improvement.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
athandr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Chaging the tool may not affect the speed significantly.. In some cases, based on the optimization and switches it can increase the speed also. What you need to look at improving the speed is the RAM and processor Speed. All the recommended operating systems and system configuration are given in the Respective tool release notes.

Check the Chapter 2 onwared of this user guide  - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_1/irn.pdf. SImilarly you can check the respective Release notes guide for each tool. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos