UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Reg: synch. processes, signals etc. (the basics)

hi, i had a very basic question regarding fsm, synch signals and how they transition ...

i made a simple 2 state fsm (processed on rising edge of clk) as follows ... 

when s0=>
if (input = '1') then
    output <= '1';
    state <= s1;
else

output <= '0';
    state <= s0;
end if;

when s1 =>
state <= s0;

case1(refer sc1.jpg)  - in simulation, when i assert input=1 exactly on the rising edge of clock, then output = 1 and state transition to s1 happens one clock cycle later, which is what is said about signals and fsm ... that the signals are updated after 1 clock cycle. refer sc1.jpg

case2 (refer sc2.jpg) - in simulation, if i assert input=1 around the rising edge of clock  and the quickly deassert it, then output = 1 and state transition to s1 happens on the same clock edge. refer sc2.jpg.

in case2, should the state/output not transition after 1 clk cycle as well? what is the basic that i'm missing here and why do we have diff bhv in sims?

please let me know ...

thanks and regards,

z.

sc1.JPG
sc2.JPG
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Reg: synch. processes, signals etc. (the basics)

Hi,

Your understanding is correct, hardware behaves as case-1,  but in functional Simulation as the delays are not be considered inputs are sampled almost instantaneously and hence you see the output in the immediate rising edge for Case2

You can do Timing simulation and check if the result is same for both the cases.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Reg: synch. processes, signals etc. (the basics)

In both simulations the machine behaves the same.  The "1 cycle" delay is not from the assertion of the input signal.  It really means that the state will change on the first rising edge of the clock after the input goes high.  For behavioral simulation making the edges of input1 and clk coincident might cause the delay to look like zero, or it might make the delay a full clock cycle depending on the order that the simulator processes the two signals.  Behavioral simulation keeps track of the signal dependencies in a way that doesn't show up in the waveforms, i.e. it knows for example that a flip-flop Q will transition after the clk edge, and therefore other flip-flops will not respond to it on the same clock edge, but it won't show this as a measurable time delay.  Instead it uses internal "delta" delays that have no associated time.  So if your first simulation had input1 sourced by a signal that depends on the rising edge of clk, it would necessarily make the output go high one cycle later.  If on the other hand you coded input1 using time delays, it could cause a "race condition" where the output would either go high on the same cycle or the following cycle depending on the order in which the simulator processes the code.  In real hardware, input1 should meet setup and hold times with respect to the rising edge of clk in order for the machine to function properly.

-- Gabor