UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer jwizard93
Observer

Replacing Altera asyncram component using Vivado Block Generator (8.2) in porting project.

Jump to solution

Hello,

Brand new to this community and largely new to FPGAs so I hope I'm not disruptive as I post my question.

My question: How can I recreate a memory block which was made using Altera's "asyncram" Megafunction?

I am attempting to port an FPGA implementation of a neural net created with Quartus into something I can load onto a Virtex-7 device using Vivado.

Everything was going very smoothly as the majority of the project is in verilog and system verilog. I was simply adding the source files into a Vivado project. Now I'm stuck trying to make a memory module work.

I attempted to use the Block Generator (8.2) which I accessed with the IP Catalog's "Block Memory Generator" under "RAMs and ROMs." My intent was to attempt to recreate the same module as best I could and learn from the output errors received after clicking "Open Eleborated Project" in the Flow Navigator.  However, I haven't progressed in quite some time. The errors are related to the fact that instances of my memory blocks don't have the right port names. These names here taken from the verilog that instantiates a block:

altsyncram	altsyncram_component (
				.address_a (address),
				.clock0 (clock),
				.q_a (sub_wire0),
				.aclr0 (1'b0),
				.aclr1 (1'b0),
				.address_b (1'b1),
				.addressstall_a (1'b0),
				.addressstall_b (1'b0),
				.byteena_a (1'b1),
				.byteena_b (1'b1),
				.clock1 (1'b1),
				.clocken0 (1'b1),
				.clocken1 (1'b1),
				.clocken2 (1'b1),
				.clocken3 (1'b1),
				.data_a ({32{1'b1}}),
				.data_b (1'b1),
				.eccstatus (),
				.q_b (),
				.rden_a (1'b1),
				.rden_b (1'b1),
				.wren_a (1'b0),
				.wren_b (1'b0));

In the block generator it seems like I have port names that are different. For example "addra" instead of "address_a"

Also I do not believe that I'm creating the exact same idea because I don't have this number of ports, so I'm afraid I'm not exactly asking a very specific question as much as I'm looking for advice on how to handle this situation:

Recreating an Altera asyncram Megafunction generated memory module in Vivado.

Thank you very much if you find the time to read this and provide help.

Much Appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Replacing Altera asyncram component using Vivado Block Generator (8.2) in porting project.

Jump to solution

Look at:

ug1192.pdf Xilinx Design for Altera Users:

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjq1ZyP5ZbNAhVcVWMKHd0xDyMQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xilinx.com%2Fsupport%2Fdocumentation%2Fsw_manuals%2Fug1192-xilinx-design-for-altera.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE2swptEb9iri0A0e...

It has become so popular (to switch) that we had to create this guide.

Feel free to use these forums, and thank you,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Replacing Altera asyncram component using Vivado Block Generator (8.2) in porting project.

Jump to solution

Look at:

ug1192.pdf Xilinx Design for Altera Users:

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjq1ZyP5ZbNAhVcVWMKHd0xDyMQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xilinx.com%2Fsupport%2Fdocumentation%2Fsw_manuals%2Fug1192-xilinx-design-for-altera.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE2swptEb9iri0A0e...

It has become so popular (to switch) that we had to create this guide.

Feel free to use these forums, and thank you,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer jwizard93
Observer

Jump to solution
Thank You very much. The documentation quickly led me towards an elaborated design. Whether it is a correct design remains to be seen but I think I'm through this hurdle.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue.

Did you find a solution? If so, please share.

Thx.

0 Kudos