Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Spartan-6 for mic arrays boards

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am very new to this world so correct me if I'm wrong on anything!

I'm an acoustic engineer looking at designs for MEMS mic arrays, have been looking at a couple of pre-build boards such as the Matrix Creator and the one that Xilinx very recently put on their Facebook feed, that of the SoundAI MicA. Both these boards have been designed recently and use the Spartan-6. Is there any advantage of using this FPGA, rather than the newer 7-series models that are compatible with Vivado, or would you suspect it's just a case of not getting with the times? I feel like I'm missing something?!

Many thanks in advance.....it's just I'd really prefer not going back to Windows 7 and ISE to experiment with these boards.

George 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Spartan-6 for mic arrays boards

Jump to solution

Plenty of reasons to use a Spartan 6. It's cheap (the Spartan 7 is a very recent development), the lead time on designing and building a PCB is significant (they may well have started planning for this several years ago and only produced a consumer-grade product now), and for any designer there's a well-founded inclination to use tools (ISE) and technology (Spartan 6) that they're familiar with.

If I was starting from scratch then I'd definitely use a Spartan 7 instead, but that option would not have been available at the time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
I would recommend to use vivado design tool and latest supported devices . We don't have any further development for ISE tool. VIvado tool have number of advantage over ISE design flow and it supporting the latest devices

check this document
https://www.xilinx.com/publications/prod_mktg/vivado/Vivado_9_Reasons_Backgrounder.pdf
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Plenty of reasons to use a Spartan 6. It's cheap (the Spartan 7 is a very recent development), the lead time on designing and building a PCB is significant (they may well have started planning for this several years ago and only produced a consumer-grade product now), and for any designer there's a well-founded inclination to use tools (ISE) and technology (Spartan 6) that they're familiar with.

If I was starting from scratch then I'd definitely use a Spartan 7 instead, but that option would not have been available at the time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

That makes sense! I have a feeling that it is most likely just 'convenient' to use a Spartan-6 rather that 7, just hoped I wasn't missing something more obvious. Thanks again  

0 Kudos