UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor bernaschina
Visitor

Spartan7 - FTDI programmer/debugger

Hello,
I am writing because I am creating a PCB with a Spartan7 and a Delfino TI MCU.
The idea is to include a FTDI programmer/debugger using the FT4232H (4 ports) to program booth devices.
About the Texsa Instrument part I had no problem to find the FTDI EEPROM configuration and I know that can work.
Regarding Xilinx I have difficulties to find the information recarding the FTDI EEPROM settings.
Could you please help me telling if is it possible nad how I can create a programmer device that can be announced as a programmer for different manufacturer IC's?
Thank you for your help
Best regards
Andrea

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: Spartan7 - FTDI programmer/debugger

You'll have to contact Digilent and negotiate something with them.   They created and support the Digilent JTAG driver which is included in the Xilinx tools, and this driver only responds to FTDI devices that are programmed with the correct ID code.   

From the Trenz FTDI JTAG page:

"The user EEPROM on the TE0790-01 is programmed with a unique serial number, licensed from Digilent Inc., and is therefor compatible with Xilinx tools. This is why this product has 2 variations and 2 pricings."

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@bernaschina As above, getting it to work with the Xilinx tools requires licensing, which I expect won't be worthwhile for a small production run. However, you can use open-source tools to program Xilinx FPGAs; at my previous work we had an FT4232H programming a Zynq using OpenOCD.

0 Kudos
Visitor bernaschina
Visitor

Thank you for your advice.
So, There is no way to create/configure an FTDI chip as Xilinx programmer that can be used with the VIVADO software?
It is really a pity that this part is not open. There are many manufacturers that opted this nice solution.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

No, the Xilinx tools will only work with the Digilent adaptors. Most FPGA stuff is still closed-source; if you want open-source then forget Xilinx and investigate the IceStorm project for Lattice FPGAs.

0 Kudos
Visitor bernaschina
Visitor

I started to accept the philosophy. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos