Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sslaj
Observer
Observer

Strange issue of adding ChipScope

Dear all,

I met a very strange issue when I was debugging with ChipScope.

I used ML605 board to control and communicate with a CMOS sensor via FMC HPC interface. My design was correctly simulated, but I was not successful to implement the design (Flag signals did not assert). Then I added ChipScope to debug, without any changing of code, my design has been successfully implemented. And all the signals are correctly displayed by ChipScope.

Furthermore,  in an other design, I can not read out the correct data from a dual port ram only except adding a ChipScope debugger.

It really confuse me. Does ChipScope affect the timing of signals or it optimize signals' route and place? 

I am grateful for any help.

Cheers

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ddemmin
Participant
Participant

Check your synthesis and map reports to make sure your logic is not getting optimized out. It sounds like part of your design is not connected correctly to an output and is getting optimized out.
0 Kudos
ddemmin
Participant
Participant

Not likely but map could be falsely optimizing part of the design out. You could try enabling the "ignore keep hierarchy" in the map options.
0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

Does your design pass timing in both cases?  You are applying timing contraints, and checking them correct?

0 Kudos
sslaj
Observer
Observer

Hi ddemmin,

Thanks for your reply. I tried enabling the "ignore keep hierarchy", but the problem still existed, and both case have no timing error. It is really strange, and I have never succeed without adding ChipScope.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
sslaj
Observer
Observer

Hi Markcurry,

I am sure there are not timing constraint errors in both case. And I added the ChipScope without changing any properties. Any suggestions? I am using ISE 12.4 version

Cheers

0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

I'd still suspect timing.  What frequencies are you targeting?  What TIGs are in your ucf file?  Are you sure that all your constraints are correct?  Have you properly constrained all IOs for setup/hold times?

Where I've had problems such as yours - adding chipscope changing the behaviour - it's usually a problem with my constraints.  I've mistakenly applied constraints, or incorrectly created false paths.

My experience anyway.

Other things to consider with respect to missed timing:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42444.htm

0 Kudos
ddemmin
Participant
Participant

As mark said.  List the clicks you are using, and what constraints you have associated with them.  Are all of your clocks on global or regional clock buffers?

0 Kudos
sslaj
Observer
Observer

Hi markcurry,

Many thanks for your reply, it is really helpful.

I am very new to FPGA, and I can not understand timing constraints well. 

For my application (ucf file), I just map the in/out port to the correct pin and only define the timing constraint of the Global clock signals. is this the main problem of the issue?

I attached my ucf file, and if you can have a quick look , I will be very grateful.

Cheers

0 Kudos
sslaj
Observer
Observer

Hi ddemmin,

I attached my ucf file, and I checked the design, all clocks are on clock buffers.

Cheers

0 Kudos
markcurry
Scholar
Scholar

You're contraining clocks in the UCF, that's good.  But not IO - that's bad.  Let's skip IO for now, (not a safe assumption at all but we've got to start somewhere.).  When you run trce, what do you get at the output?  It should say something like:

Timing summary:
---------------

Timing errors: 0  Score: 0  (Setup/Max: 0, Hold: 0)

What results do you see?  Any non-zero results?  I have a suspicion that you're not going to see all zeros here.  I could be wrong...

0 Kudos