cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tool encounters 10240 load/store instructions to analyze which may result in long runtime

Hi~

HLS says " Tool encounters 10240 load/store instructions to analyze which may result in long runtime." And there's a long runtime.

What can I do then?

Thank!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@smileworker2012 wrote:

Hi~

HLS says " Tool encounters 10240 load/store instructions to analyze which may result in long runtime." And there's a long runtime.

What can I do then?

Thank!

Reduce the number of load/store operations?

Stop pretending that HLS is a viable FPGA design tool?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@bassman59 wrote:

@smileworker2012 wrote:

Hi~

What can I do then?

Thank!

Reduce the number of load/store operations?

Stop pretending that HLS is a viable FPGA design tool?

"Reducing the number of load/store operations" is not possible, its not like There would be dummy load/store instructions present in the program which are there to make me happy and I can go ahead and remove them....

"pretending that HLS is a viable FPGA design tool", Is this supposed to be a help forum or what ? common. 

I am a masters student at the university of Florida and I am porting sysgtem verilog code of a very reputable organization into the vivado HLS platform. 

the following arrays are present in the top module:
static ap_uint <5>   array_a[5][9][128],
static ap_uint <12> array_b[5][9][6],
static ap_uint <4>   array_c[5][9][128]

these are initialized by the testbench via select signals before the top module uses them 

if(we)

{

//write one of the static arrays based on a "switch(sel)" statement

}

else

{

//everything else in the top module. 

}

thus there are stores and loads. these can not be reduced. 

Synthesis eats up my ram and my system freezes. (currently running on a 8 gb of ram, will test with more ram soon)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Hmm, I'm not sure why you'd port from Verilog to HLS. HLS will just convert it back to Verilog for you, and probably do a much worse job than what the original code managed.

Would you mind expanding the code example a bit? Are those arrays fully partitioned? If so, anything you can do to reduce the partitioning level will help a lot (huge multiplexers are expensive). Alternatively, have you got a huge unrolled loop that reads/writes from the arrays? That would have a similar effect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

How long did it take for the synthesis to finish? I have 11065 load/store. I've been waiting for a couple of hours and starting to wonder how long this is going to take.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi do you have any idea how long does it take? My design has around 12000 load/store too.

0 Kudos