Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

UART module

Hi,

I am using Virtex-5 XUPV5-LX110T and I want to display the results in the PC. I am trying to implement an UART module?

Does Xilix ISE 12.4 has an already done UART module?

As a communication standart I am thinking to use RS-232, or is better to use another?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: UART module

I am using Virtex-5 XUPV5-LX110T and I want to display the results in the PC. I am trying to implement an UART module? Does Xilinx ISE 12.4 has an already done UART module?

If you are using the EDK license, there is a UART Logicore included.  UART design is simple, and is often used as a 'homework assignment' design problem for first semester students.

Here is a useful link

And another useful link

As a communication standard I am thinking to use RS-232, or is better to use another?

RS-232 is an electrical interface (voltage levels, mostly) rather than a protocol definition.  The FPGA does not interface directly to RS-232 signals -- a buffer/translator on the board is required (and provided on the XUPV5 board).

Here is the Wiki article describing RS-232.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: UART module

Hi,

another simple UART core can be found in the Picoblaze ressources. (KCPSM3 in your case)

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos