Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

UCF location constrains for the LCD

Hi,

I am trying to write smth in the LED display. I am using Virtex 5 OpenSPARC VLX110t.

I get an error during mapping because of the LOC constrains. I have taken the constrains from the Spartan 3A manual, because I can not find them in any manual for my device.

Please, where can I find this information, I have been searching for a lot of time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: UCF location constrains for the LCD

these are the UCF constarins I am using which give me an error:

NET "lcden" LOC = "AB4" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "reset" LOC = "Y14" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "lcdrw" LOC = "W13" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<7>" LOC = "Y15" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<6>" LOC = "AB16" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<5>" LOC = "Y16" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<4>" LOC = "AA12" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<3>" LOC = "AB12" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<2>" LOC = "AB17" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<1>" LOC = "AB18" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;
NET "data<0>" LOC = "Y13" | IOSTANDARD = LVCMOS33 | DRIVE = 8 | SLEW = SLOW ;

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

You will need the board schematics to assign package pins.  Do you have the board schematics?

You will also need the Virtex-5 package.

With the device package and the board schematics, it will be easier to help you.  It would also help if you post the top level of your source code, showing the IO ports.

Are these the only pin assignments with which you are having trouble?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

the device I am using is Virtex-5 XUPV5-LX110T.

I don't have the board schematics. It is difficult to find documants about this device.

The top-level of my source code is:

entity lcd1 is
    Port ( clk : in std_logic; 
      reset:in std_logic;
         lcdda : out std_logic;       
         lcdrw : out std_logic;      
         lcden : out std_logic;                    
            A  : out std_logic:='1';           
         data : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));  
end lcd1;

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

How to find XUPV5-LX110T board docs on Xilinx website

the device I am using is Virtex-5 XUPV5-LX110T.

Thank you.  This is a standard FPGA development board sold by Xilinx.

I don't have the board schematics. It is difficult to find documants about this device.

If you are looking for documents for Xilinx products, your first step should be searching the Xilinx website.  In your case, simply search for "XUPV5-LX110T".  The search string window should be near the top right corner of your browser window.

• On the web page for XUPV5-LX110T reference designs you will find a link for the UCF pin constraints file for this board.
  • On the user manual page, you will learn that the XUPV5-LX110T board is the same board design as the ML505 board, and there is a link to the ML505 board documentation page
  • On the ML505 board documentation page you will find a link to the ML505 board schematics (which are the same as the XUPV5-LX110T board schematics).

When you browse the board schematics or the board user manual (UG347), you will learn that the LCD interface uses 4 data bits, not 8.  This will require a change to your design.  Here is a post with several links to useful resources for designing with this LCD, including how to select and use the 4-bit interface mode which you will need for the XUPV5-LX110T board.

It all starts with using the Xilinx website search tool, which can save you a considerable amount of time.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: How to find XUPV5-LX110T board docs on Xilinx website

When you browse the board schematics, you will learn that the LCD interface uses 4 data bits, not 8.  This will require a change to your design.

Also, if your design uses the LCD controller's BUSY flag, you will need to define the 4-bit data bus to the LCD as bidirectional, or simply declare only the MSB (DB7) as bidirectional.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos