UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jan.acosta
Visitor

VHDL help

Hello,

I am currently having trouble trying to implement a calculator that multiplies two 4-bit values.

The calculation is easy, but what I need to do is output the answer to 4 seven segment displays.

SInce there are about 255 possible answers when multiplying two 4-bit values, how do I write VHDL code without having to write each possble answer and assign a number to each of the seven segment displays?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: VHDL help

Do you want to display the result in base 10? You should only need three displays.

You'll want to convert the number to BCD, which means that your three digit number is stored in three four-bit registers, representing 100s, 10s, and 1s.

Divide n by 100, put the modulo in the first register. Divide the remainder by 10, put the modulo in the second and the remainder in the third. Then you'll only need to define ten 7-segment outputs.

Figuring out how to do this will be a fun VHDL exercise! Alternatively, you could cheat and Google it.

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Another method may be to convert the 4-bit inputs to decimal and then implement a

decimal multiplier...

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

I cheated and Googled for a synthesizeable binary-to-BCD converter and am very happy with it...

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

joelby,

I think it is despicable that Gabor and rcingham are doing this fellow's homework assignment.  I am shocked... SHOCKED!

Otherwise I would have suggested using a 256x12 Block RAM for the multiply and BCD conversion.  But I won't, because I am above that sort of thing.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor jan.acosta
Visitor

Haha, I misread my homework assignment's requirements.  

I am supposed to show the Hex value not the decimal value. 

I figured that out already.  I have other problems now which I can't seem to figure out a way to trouble shoot.  

0 Kudos

I need help for developing VHDL code for the solution of 3D Helmholtz wave equation using Green's function.I'm attatching the doc .

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie zgd2449

If any one can help me to solve this problem please 

Develop a behavioral VHDL model of a synchronous (clocked) 2-digit, modulo-16 binary-coded-decimal (BCD) up counter. The counter should count from 0 up to 15 and then continue from 0 again. The counter should have an active high CLR signal to reset its contents to 0 at any time. The counter's state should be displayed on the 7-segment display module of the Nexys 2 Board. Both the CLK and the CLR signals should be mapped to pushbuttons, respectively. Note: when using signal CLOCK from a bush button for clocking your circuit you must add the statement NET "CLOCK" CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE = FALSE; to your .ucf file. You should implement this counter using the FPGA, the 7-segment display and push-buttons on your Nexys 2 Board.
a) Turn in a hard copy of the .vhd and .ucf files for your design, respectively. 
b) Map your circuit to the Xilinx FPGA chip that is located on your FPGA
Development Board by running the Implement step. Before doing so, add a User
Constraints (.ucf) file to your project to make proper pin assignments for your
designs. The Master .ucf file for the Nexys 2 Board is available through the Class
Web Page. However, you need to edit it to keep only those signals that are defined in
your .vhd file. Turn in only the device utilization and used pin assignments
sections, respectively, of the Pad Report. 
Email : mass1311@yahoo.com

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@zgd2449 wrote:

If any one can help me to solve this problem please 

Develop a behavioral VHDL model of a synchronous (clocked) 2-digit, modulo-16 binary-coded-decimal (BCD) up counter. The counter should count from 0 up to 15 and then continue from 0 again. The counter should have an active high CLR signal to reset its contents to 0 at any time. The counter's state should be displayed on the 7-segment display module of the Nexys 2 Board. Both the CLK and the CLR signals should be mapped to pushbuttons, respectively. Note: when using signal CLOCK from a bush button for clocking your circuit you must add the statement NET "CLOCK" CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE = FALSE; to your .ucf file. You should implement this counter using the FPGA, the 7-segment display and push-buttons on your Nexys 2 Board.
a) Turn in a hard copy of the .vhd and .ucf files for your design, respectively. 
b) Map your circuit to the Xilinx FPGA chip that is located on your FPGA
Development Board by running the Implement step. Before doing so, add a User
Constraints (.ucf) file to your project to make proper pin assignments for your
designs. The Master .ucf file for the Nexys 2 Board is available through the Class
Web Page. However, you need to edit it to keep only those signals that are defined in
your .vhd file. Turn in only the device utilization and used pin assignments
sections, respectively, of the Pad Report. 
Email : mass1311@yahoo.com

Your professor has been notified of your attempt to cheat. 

Expect a failing grade for this semester.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hmmm... For fun I did your assignment in about 1hr. Maybe you should drop the class, it's only going to get harder from here. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like these books:
Free Range VHDL (free), http://www.freerangefactory.org/site/pmwiki.php/Main/Books
VHDL for Logic Synthesis, Andrew Rushton
FPGA Prototyping by VHDL Examples, Pong P Chu
0 Kudos