cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Virtex-5 DCM fails to lock

We have a design, originally implemented on a VP50, which interfaces to 4 off TI ADS5271, 8 channel lvds output AtoD converters.  In essence the design was based on xapp774 with additional phase control of the dcms based on xapp268.

(Whilst we could have reworked along the lines of xapp866 we have currently chosen to at least bring up the legacy code with suitable modifications to reflect Virtex-5 architecture.)

Each block of 8 channels has its own bitclock (lclk) and frame clock (adclk). Each lclk is taken as the input to a DCM to generate a global clock that is used for the ddr i/o and subsequent serial to parallel conversion stages for a given block of 8 channels. The lclk inputs, in order to balance trace lengths and signal skew on the pcb, are brought onto the chip through normal i/o buffers adjacent to the data input pins and adclk (hence do not use dedicated routing to the dcm). The dcm is supported by a phase alignment scheme where the incoming lclk is also sampled at the i/o pin and the internal routing delay compensated for by this aligment scheme. Thats what is supposed to happen.

What appears to be happening at the moment is that the DCMs in the Virtex-5 are failing to lock to the incoming lclk at frequencies below about 180MHz though the data sheet indicates that 120MHz should be the minimum operation frequency (in high frequency mode). When we drive the ADCs with anything below about 33MHz (which gives an lclk of 200MHz) the DCM does not indicate lock even if hard reset. It also does not appear to be generating the ctlclk (a div by 3 or 4 on the input clock. Without reloading we can switch between say 167MHz and 240MHz and reset the DCM in between. In all case it locks at the higher freqency but not at the lower.

Any ideas?

Thanks

RE

Attached code for the dcm instantiation:

DCM_ADV DCM_INST (
    .CLKIN(rxclkint),
    .CLKFB(rxclk),
    .DEN(low),
    .PSINCDEC(psincdec),
    .PSEN(psen),
    .PSCLK(psclk),
    .RST(rst),
    .CLK0(rxclkdcm),
    .CLKDV(ctlclk),
    .LOCKED(dcmlocked),
    .PSDONE(psdone))

/*synthesis CLKFX_DIVIDE = 2 CLKFX_MULTIPLY = 1 DUTY_CYCLE_CORRECTION = "TRUE"
      DFS_FREQUENCY_MODE = "HIGH" CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT = "VARIABLE" PHASE_SHIFT = -255
      CLKDV_DIVIDE = "3.0" DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE = "HIGH" CLKIN_DIVIDE_BY_2 = "FALSE" */     // Synplicity attributes
    /*synthesis attribute CLKFX_DIVIDE of DCM_INST "4" */                    // XST attributes
    /*synthesis attribute CLKFX_MULTIPLY of DCM_INST "2" */
    /*synthesis attribute DUTY_CYCLE_CORRECTION of DCM_INST TRUE */
    /*synthesis attribute DFS_FREQUENCY_MODE of DCM_INST HIGH */
    /*synthesis attribute CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT of DCM_INST VARIABLE_CENTER */
    /*synthesis attribute PHASE_SHIFT of DCM_INST "-255" */
    /*synthesis attribute CLKDV_DIVIDE of DCM_INST "3" */
    /*synthesis attribute CLKIN_DIVIDE_BY_2 of DCM_INST FALSE */
    /*synthesis attribute DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE of DCM_INST HIGH */  ;

BUFG rxclk_bufg (.I(rxclkdcm),    .O(rxclk) ) ;

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Virtex-5 DCM fails to lock

Hi,

This may be the result of the clock Jitter. Please check the clock Jitter. Too much Jitter will also make the DCM can not Lock.

I advice you to use the internal PLL to try this again. It may be helpful.

I didn't check your settings. But I advice you to use the  Instantiation Template:

DCM_ADV  #(
.CLKDV_DIVIDE(2.0),  //  Divide  by:  1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0,3.5,4.0,4.5,5.0,5.5,6.0,6.5
//      7.0,7.5,8.0,9.0,10.0,11.0,12.0,13.0,14.0,15.0  or  16.0
.CLKFX_DIVIDE(1),      //  Can  be  any  integer  from  1  to  32
.CLKFX_MULTIPLY(4),  //  Can  be  any  integer  from  2  to  32
.CLKIN_DIVIDE_BY_2("FALSE"),  //  TRUE/FALSE  to  enable  CLKIN  divide  by  two  feature
.CLKIN_PERIOD(10.0),  //  Specify  period  of  input  clock  in  ns  from  1.25  to  1000.00
.CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT("NONE"),  //  Specify  phase  shift  mode  of  NONE,  FIXED,
//  VARIABLE_POSITIVE,  VARIABLE_CENTER  or  DIRECT
.CLK_FEEDBACK("1X"),    //  Specify  clock  feedback  of  NONE  or  1X
.DCM_PERFORMANCE_MODE("MAX_SPEED"),  //  Can  be  MAX_SPEED  or  MAX_RANGE
.DESKEW_ADJUST("SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS"),  //  SOURCE_SYNCHRONOUS,  SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS  or
//      an  integer  from  0  to  15
.DFS_FREQUENCY_MODE("LOW"),  //  HIGH  or  LOW  frequency  mode  for  frequency  synthesis
.DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE("LOW"),  //  LOW,  HIGH,  or  HIGH_SER  frequency  mode  for  DLL
.DUTY_CYCLE_CORRECTION("TRUE"),  //  Duty  cycle  correction,  "TRUE"/"FALSE"
.FACTORY_JF(16’hf0f0),  //  FACTORY  JF  value  suggested  to  be  set  to  16’hf0f0
.PHASE_SHIFT(0),  //  Amount  of  fixed  phase  shift  from  -255  to  1023
.SIM_DEVICE("VIRTEX5"),  //  Set  target  device,  "VIRTEX4"  or  "VIRTEX5"
.STARTUP_WAIT("FALSE")    //  Delay  configuration  DONE  until  DCM  LOCK,  "TRUE"/"FALSE"
)  DCM_ADV_inst  (
.CLK0(CLK0), //  0  degree  DCM  CLK  output
.CLK180(CLK180), //  180  degree  DCM  CLK  output
.CLK270(CLK270), //  270  degree  DCM  CLK  output
.CLK2X(CLK2X), //  2X  DCM  CLK  output
.CLK2X180(CLK2X180),  //  2X,  180  degree  DCM  CLK  out
.CLK90(CLK90), //  90  degree  DCM  CLK  output
.CLKDV(CLKDV), //  Divided  DCM  CLK  out  (CLKDV_DIVIDE)
.CLKFX(CLKFX), //  DCM  CLK  synthesis  out  (M/D)
.CLKFX180(CLKFX180),  //  180  degree  CLK  synthesis  out
.DO(DO), //  16-bit  data  output  for  Dynamic  Reconfiguration  Port  (DRP)
.DRDY(DRDY), //  Ready  output  signal  from  the  DRP
.LOCKED(LOCKED), //  DCM  LOCK  status  output
.PSDONE(PSDONE), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  done  output
.CLKFB(CLKFB), //  DCM  clock  feedback
.CLKIN(CLKIN), //  Clock  input  (from  IBUFG,  BUFG  or  DCM)
.DADDR(DADDR), //  7-bit  address  for  the  DRP
.DCLK(DCLK), //  Clock  for  the  DRP
.DEN(DEN), //  Enable  input  for  the  DRP
.DI(DI), //  16-bit  data  input  for  the  DRP
.DWE(DWE), //  Active  high  allows  for  writing  configuration  memory
.PSCLK(PSCLK), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  clock  input
.PSEN(PSEN), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  enable  input
.PSINCDEC(PSINCDEC),  //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  increment/decrement
.RST(RST) //  DCM  asynchronous  reset  input
);

DCM_ADV  #(

.CLKDV_DIVIDE(2.0),   //  Divide  by:  1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0,3.5,4.0,4.5,5.0,5.5,6.0,6.5

//7.0,7.5,8.0,9.0,10.0,11.0,12.0,13.0,14.0,15.0  or  16.0

.CLKFX_DIVIDE(1),       //  Can  be  any  integer  from  1  to  32

.CLKFX_MULTIPLY(4), //  Can  be  any  integer  from  2  to  32

.CLKIN_DIVIDE_BY_2("FALSE"),  //  TRUE/FALSE  to  enable  CLKIN  divide  by  two  feature

.CLKIN_PERIOD(10.0),  //  Specify  period  of  input  clock  in  ns  from  1.25  to 1000.00

.CLKOUT_PHASE_SHIFT("NONE"),  //  Specify  phase  shift  mode  of  NONE,  FIXED,

//  VARIABLE_POSITIVE,  VARIABLE_CENTER  or  DIRECT

.CLK_FEEDBACK("1X"),    //  Specify  clock  feedback  of  NONE  or  1X

.DCM_PERFORMANCE_MODE("MAX_SPEED"),  //  Can  be  MAX_SPEED  or  MAX_RANGE

.DESKEW_ADJUST("SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS"),  //  SOURCE_SYNCHRONOUS,  SYSTEM_SYNCHRONOUS  or

//      an  integer  from  0  to  15

.DFS_FREQUENCY_MODE("LOW"),  //  HIGH  or  LOW  frequency  mode  for  frequency  synthesis

.DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE("LOW"),  //  LOW,  HIGH,  or  HIGH_SER  frequency  mode  for  DLL

.DUTY_CYCLE_CORRECTION("TRUE"),  //  Duty  cycle  correction,  "TRUE"/"FALSE"

.FACTORY_JF(16’hf0f0),  //  FACTORY  JF  value  suggested  to  be  set  to  16’hf0f0

.PHASE_SHIFT(0),  //  Amount  of  fixed  phase  shift  from  -255  to  1023

.SIM_DEVICE("VIRTEX5"),  //  Set  target  device,  "VIRTEX4"  or  "VIRTEX5"

.STARTUP_WAIT("FALSE")    //  Delay  configuration  DONE  until  DCM  LOCK,  "TRUE"/"FALSE"

)  DCM_ADV_inst  (

.CLK0(CLK0), //  0  degree  DCM  CLK  output

.CLK180(CLK180), //  180  degree  DCM  CLK  output

.CLK270(CLK270), //  270  degree  DCM  CLK  output

.CLK2X(CLK2X), //  2X  DCM  CLK  output

.CLK2X180(CLK2X180),  //  2X,  180  degree  DCM  CLK  out

.CLK90(CLK90), //  90  degree  DCM  CLK  output

.CLKDV(CLKDV), //  Divided  DCM  CLK  out  (CLKDV_DIVIDE)

.CLKFX(CLKFX), //  DCM  CLK  synthesis  out  (M/D)

.CLKFX180(CLKFX180),  //  180  degree  CLK  synthesis  out

.DO(DO), //  16-bit  data  output  for  Dynamic  Reconfiguration  Port  (DRP)

.DRDY(DRDY), //  Ready  output  signal  from  the  DRP

.LOCKED(LOCKED), //  DCM  LOCK  status  output

.PSDONE(PSDONE), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  done  output

.CLKFB(CLKFB), //  DCM  clock  feedback

.CLKIN(CLKIN), //  Clock  input  (from  IBUFG,  BUFG  or  DCM)

.DADDR(DADDR), //  7-bit  address  for  the  DRP

.DCLK(DCLK), //  Clock  for  the  DRP

.DEN(DEN), //  Enable  input  for  the  DRP

.DI(DI), //  16-bit  data  input  for  the  DRP

.DWE(DWE), //  Active  high  allows  for  writing  configuration  memory

.PSCLK(PSCLK), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  clock  input

.PSEN(PSEN), //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  enable  input

.PSINCDEC(PSINCDEC),  //  Dynamic  phase  adjust  increment/decrement

.RST(RST) //  DCM  asynchronous  reset  input

);

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

(sorry for the delay in replying but we were investigating other aspects of the design)

We have tried inserting plls into each of the lclk paths and see no apparent difference.The pll shows as having locked (viewed with chipscope) and removes the reset from the dcm but the dcm never shows lock (at 125.25MHz).

We have used the full dcm template and again no difference.

Our original 20.875MHz sample clock is derived in a VP50 from a Pletronics 167MHz lvds oscillator via a divide by 4 using a DCM in the VP50 and using the CLKDV (div by 2) output. It is then distributed via a global clock mux buffer to 8 outputs (lvds) each of which drives one of 8 LX220Ts. In the LX220T each clock is input via a global diff clock input and global clock buffer and distributed to internal logic and 4 off sample clock outputs to the TI ADCs . (The TI ADCs have a pll that produces a x6 clock ie 125.25MHz from the incoming sample clock).

Precisely the same circuit is used at 41.75MHz other than the fact that the CLK0 output of the DCM in the VP50 is selected by the global clock mux buffer (rather than the CLKDV). When running at this higher freqency the DCM in the LX220T locks. We would have expected that the jitter, if this were the cause, would be proprtionally the same as it uses essentially the same source path so are still finding it difficult to unuderstand this difference in behaviour at the two frequencies (?)

We have also tried inserting a jitter filter pll _before_ the global clock buffer in the LX220Ts output path (to the ADC) to try to reduce any jitter that may have been on the original distributed clock ... but again see no difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Possible reasons for DCM not locking might be due to one of the below reasons

• If the input clock is not stable
  • More Jitter in Input clock
  • If the DCM has external feedback, the feedback clock will not be present at the DCM CLKFB pin.
  • GTS is not released during the startup sequence.
  • when  DFS outputs are used and the CLKIN frequency falls outside the specified range
  • If some problem in VCCAUX voltage like noise spike which takes out acceptable operating range specified in data sheet.
  • In case when the reset signals of the DCM and PLL are tied together, the second component in the chain will automatically wait for the first to lock before starting it's own locking cycle.

Also http://www.xilinx.com/support/troubleshoot/clocking_debug.htm   link helps for debugging

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

hello everyone
I use the DCM for the first time and i find a big problem.
my goal is to have a frequency that is tow times faster than the input frequency, knowing that it may take a value between 2MHz and 200MHz. Can i use the dcm (condition on CLKIN)?

Can someone help me
thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

med,

You should start a new thread.  Combining topics is confusing for everyone involved.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Can you give me the XAPP866? E-mail:xuls@ihep.ac.cn.Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

duplicate post

Can you give me the XAPP866?

Already answered in one of your three duplicate posts.

Please refrain from duplicate posting.

Please use the website's search facility, it would have provided your answer.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos