UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jenspall
Visitor

WebPack and commercial use

Hi

I've some questions on the commercial use of WebPack (hope this is the right place to ask):

Can the free WebPack be used in commercial projects? More specifically, can a design be synthesized using the tools in WebPack and the resulting programmed FPGA used in a commercial manner?

How about distributing verilog files that use IPs that come with the WebPack to other users of WebPack (which they have downloaded and installed themselves), they synthesize the result and program their FPGA which is then used in a commercial way. Is that allowed? What if the design does not use any IPs?

Thanks,

JP

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: WebPack and commercial use

JP,

I'll start with the disclaimer "I am an engineer not a lawyer - nor authorized by Xilinx to provide legal guidance"

I would suggest you start here:

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/license/license_agreement.htm

But from my view:

-yes, yes

-Addressed by the "Distribution Rights" section. Yes - provided they also have a license

bt

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

JP,

The user license and agreements are part of the download page, and I presume you have read that.

The intent is that you will develop a really cool, super useful product, and sell boatloads of them, which means you will buy tons of FPGAs from Xilinx.

We love to sell chips, so webpack is used just for that purpose.

http://www.xilinx.com/legal.htm

is where you will find all terms and conditions for use of Xilinx software, and hardware.

I am unsure of just what you are asking?

If it is:  may I use webpack to develop a bitstream for a FPGA in a product for sale?  The answer is: absolutely!

If it is: may I use webpack inside my own software as a product?  Then you need to wade through the agreements page ... (that is very different, and not the intent).

Read through the above agreements page documents, aqnd then frame your question as to what it is that you did not find there.

Yes, I know it is an incredible pain to read a bunch of legal stuff, but I really don't know what it is you are asking.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor jenspall
Visitor

Thanks for the link bt.

JP

0 Kudos
Visitor jenspall
Visitor

Sorry for not being clear but I was asking about whether I can produce a bitstream using WebPack and use that bitstream in a commercial product. I do not intend to use or distribute WebPack in my own software in any way. Thanks for clearing that out.

I'm also really pleased to see that Xilinx is committed to selling chips rather than software as I've always viewed Xilinx as a great hardware provider. Giving the design software away is a smart move IMHO.

Cheers,

JP

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

jenspall wrote:

Sorry for not being clear but I was asking about whether I can produce a bitstream using WebPack and use that bitstream in a commercial product. I do not intend to use or distribute WebPack in my own software in any way. Thanks for clearing that out.

Yes, it is perfectly fine to use a bitstream created using the WebPack tools in a commercial product.

I'm also really pleased to see that Xilinx is committed to selling chips rather than software as I've always viewed Xilinx as a great hardware provider. Giving the design software away is a smart move IMHO.

Except that the non-WebPack software has a ridiculous licensing scheme. Xilinx might wish to explain the benefits of using the full-up ISE tools rather than WebPack. Is the only difference really in the supported devices? Because tech support is the same.
----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

austin.lesea wrote:

We love to sell chips, so webpack is used just for that purpose.

Then why, like bassman59 already asked,  would you put licences on your tool chain at all?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

It seems as Xilinx has no interest in explaining why they made it so hard to use their tools. I cannot use the webpack since my projects has need of huge DSP resources. The new license has severly limited the flexibility of the tools and they have include a bunch of junk which I don't need, or least don't want to pay for.

I don't think we will ever get an answer. They found a way of making more money.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Another thought to consider is that perhaps the engineers who participate on the forums (and use the same tools you do) weren't the ones responsible for this decision.

Given the fact that this is a public forum, it is likely unrealistic to assume:

-one of us will attempt to defend this decision

-one of us will publicly speak against this

-will publicly air some of the internal discussions that may have occurred

The fact remains that this is a publicly accessible board run by our employer and is probably not the appropriate avenue for personal thoughts on this matter.

I would imagine most companies internally have multiple opinions on the apropriate strategy for a particular topic.

bt

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

t,

Because thousands of programmer-years are invested in the tools.

We have no interest in helping anyone to compete (unfairly).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos