UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

What's the necessity to use ibuf component ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am creating a project on a Virtex II pro. I have a question concerning the use of IBUF component. In my project I don't use it, however my project works properly. My question is, is it necessary to instantiate IBUF and OBUF to avoid problem in the future ? what's the necessity of that ?

Thanks by advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: What's the necessity to use ibuf component ?

Jump to solution

In most cases you don't need to instantiate IBUF components.  I've found that the only

reasons I need to instantiate them is either because XST tries to insert more than one IBUF

on a single input (usually a DCM-related issue) or because XST doesn't infer differential

input buffers, so you need to instantiate IBUFDS components.  By the way, Lattice tools

don't require you to instantiate differential buffers.  Differential I/O's are treated like single-ended

using only the positive side of the pair.  Defining the IO standard as something differential

forces their tools to infer the differential buffer and assign the negative side of the pair.  In

both the case of Lattice and Xilinx, the parts have only one choice to place the positive vs. negative

part of a differential pair, so there's no reason Xilinx couldn't do something similar.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Your synthesizer is adding the IBUFs and OBUFs automatically to your design.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi

I work on premise I;m a control freak,

so instnatiate what I want,

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@drjohnsmith wrote:

Hi

I work on premise I;m a control freak,

so instnatiate what I want,

Why make things so difficult?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

one word answer,

predictability.

just my way of doing things,

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

In most cases you don't need to instantiate IBUF components.  I've found that the only

reasons I need to instantiate them is either because XST tries to insert more than one IBUF

on a single input (usually a DCM-related issue) or because XST doesn't infer differential

input buffers, so you need to instantiate IBUFDS components.  By the way, Lattice tools

don't require you to instantiate differential buffers.  Differential I/O's are treated like single-ended

using only the positive side of the pair.  Defining the IO standard as something differential

forces their tools to infer the differential buffer and assign the negative side of the pair.  In

both the case of Lattice and Xilinx, the parts have only one choice to place the positive vs. negative

part of a differential pair, so there's no reason Xilinx couldn't do something similar.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for this explanation !

0 Kudos