UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

When does the FPGA begin to configure??

Jump to solution

Hello,

I use xc7k325 in my design and Vivado 2014.1. The configuration mode was SPI and the flash was N25Q128. Bank 0, Bank14 and Bank15 are all 3.0V.

I can successfully program the FPGA and the flash. But it seems the flash didn't been load successfully.

I doubt the power sequence between FPGA and flash cause the problem. The DS182 gives the Tpor, but it didn't say when the FPGA begin to load bitstream from the flash---after all power rails become stable or other times??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: When does the FPGA begin to configure??

Jump to solution

c,

The configuration starts when the Vccint, Vccaux, and Vcco (for the config bank) are all sensed as being greater than their trip points, and a timer has counted to a terminal count (the power on circuit attempts to guess at when the power rails will be stable and within specifications).

You can measure when configuration starts by observing the INIT_b, and the other signals.

Check the mode pins.  Check that the flash has the proper contents.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

c,

The configuration starts when the Vccint, Vccaux, and Vcco (for the config bank) are all sensed as being greater than their trip points, and a timer has counted to a terminal count (the power on circuit attempts to guess at when the power rails will be stable and within specifications).

You can measure when configuration starts by observing the INIT_b, and the other signals.

Check the mode pins.  Check that the flash has the proper contents.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello austin,

Thank you!

I don't know how to "check that the flash has the proper contents". Does it means there is something wrong with the configuration of the ".bin" files?

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

c,

Well, the correct format has to be used, so the device is able to understand the configuration it is reading.

It sounds like you are able to configure using the JTAG.  That is good, and is a first step.  Putting that configuration into the flash memory is then the next step.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/pim_c_introduction_indirect_programming.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/pim_p_configure_spi_bpi_through_fpga.htm

XAPP586

All things you should be reading...

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos