cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

XC3064 replacement

Hello,

I have an obsolete XC3064 part on a board that I need to repair. I checked that the availability in the market for this device is very limited, so I see difficult to find a solution. Any ideas about how I can do this?

I thought of migrating the design to a new FPGA, but I don't have the source files, just the bitstream.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: XC3064 replacement

Jon,

You have a problem.  The design is lost -- there is no way to recover it with just the bitstream.

And, Xilinx 3000 series is obsolete, so any parts you do find are likely reworked scrap, and there is no warranty, and no guarantee they will function at all.

I would start over with a new device like an Artix 7, or Spartan 7 device.  Likely the smallest device is plenty large enough.  Then you will need to redesign IO peripheral to work at 3.3 v and lower as required.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Wow 

a 3000 series chip,

well old, the only possible good thing is its probably in packages that is at least re workable.

so in theory you could find a replacement, there are a few places around, though as Austin says,  its unlikely to be new.

but are you certain its the fpga thats dead ?

they tend not to die on their own for no reason.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

To follow on from @drjohnsmith - an FPGA programmed with an invalid bitstream (eg. from an EPROM that has been exposed to UV light and has therefore lost its data) can look a lot like a dead FPGA. As such, just reloading the bitstream and/or replacing the ROM chip may well solve the problem.

You can get the XC3064 on eBay (link) - but, as @austin has said, there's no guarantee that the chip you're buying works, or even that it's actually an XC3064 (could be something else re-labelled). Rochester Electronics claims to be an authorized Xilinx distributor and has four XC3064A chips in stock (link) (XC3000A is compatible with XC3000 bitstreams). My understanding is that Rochester actually licenses the right to manufacture some obsolete chips, so if you really need a very large quantity then it might be worth asking about that option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Yes,

Rochester is an approved end of life distributor for Xilinx, so do give them a call.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos