UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Xilinx FPGA pricing

Hello.

I have a question - how can I get the same low price for XCZU6EG-1FFVC900E - $678.82.

I used to think that there couldn’t be such a price for FPGAs, and what they sell in China is fake. 

If you find this chip on Digi Key, then it will cost  - $1,949 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XCZU6EG-1FFVC900E/XCZU6EG-1FFVC900E-ND/7034665

three more expensive than a board with this chip

https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/TE0808-04-6BE21-A-UltraSOM-MPSoC-Module-with-Zynq-UltraScale-XCZU6EG-1FFVC900E-4-GB-DDR4

Last year we bought 50 chips XC7K410T-2FBG676I    in Digi Key paying $100,000.  

But the price of this chip $558.02  - https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/TE0741-03-410-2IF-FPGA-Module-with-Xilinx-Kintex-7-XC7K410T-2IF-4-x-5-cm-standard-footprint

it's four times lower than https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XC7K410T-2FBG676I/122-2274-ND/3543158

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Xilinx FPGA pricing

You need to talk to your distributor,

Supply and demand, the more you purchase of something , the cheaper individual parts are,

As a small example, you quote digikey ,
look at say this part
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XC3S1000-4FG320I/122-2135-ND/6131855

you purchase only 1 you get one price, purchase 100 you get lower price, you purchase say 10 000 then you will get a even better price from Xilinx,

Are you surprised ?
its the way for all chip companies.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I wrote above that I paid $100,000 for 50 chips.

And Digi Key, Xilinx distributor,  did not offer me a price lower. 

Digi Key buys from xilinx not on one chip, so he cannot have such a pricing policy.

But I see that the real price of this chip is three to four times lower.

Price.jpg

Price2.jpg

0 Kudos
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

sounds like you need to talk to your buying department to get better deals

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

shop.trenz is also a trusted seller.

Pricing varies from year to year and they are very dynamic.

You might find a still lesser price for this part at Alibaba, but the question of trusting that seller always comes up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

"shop.trenz is also a trusted seller, pricing varies ... very dynamic"

Of course, with such a price at which the board is at least twice as cheap as the chip, I am not a competitor. 

I’m thinking about buying boards and soldering FPGAs from them.

I received a response from Digi Key that they do not give discounts on FPGA.

And that the price of 50 chips will be the same as for one chip.

Thus, this is not equal competition. DigiKey will earn 400% on me, since it’s real, these chip are four times cheaper.

0 Kudos

@jack1977 

Distributor prices are for prototypes, etc. Even if your production batch is 50 a year, talking to a Xilinx rep may put a smile on your face compared to Digikey, etc.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I know one thing - these chips are at least four times cheaper. And the price of DigiKey is speculative.

I didn’t say that I would buy 50 chips a year. I asked how the price will change with a larger quantity.
To which they answered that in principle there is no discount for this chip.

0 Kudos

We are probably both technical. Sales people have a different genetics... price is what they say to maximize what they get keeping in mind the odds of you buying or not...

From my experience, it's all about how "interesting" or "strategic" your product is for Xilinx. If you are making something good for them (in terms of novelty, prestige, market presence, etc) they'll be like angels (the ones not falling). If you do common stuff, without a great business volume, etc, they will just offer you the Digikey price.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Money makes money.
In my project I needed 8 transceivers, and in order to save $ 800, I put two FPGAs - Kintex and Zynq ultrascale.

And I was amazed to find a board that is half the price of the FPGA on Digi Key.

0 Kudos

Yes, there are some whole boards cheaper than the bare FPGA which means the distributor channel is well above others price-wise (and not because of their margin)

0 Kudos