cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Xilinx forum rejects my message

Jump to solution

I was trying to post the attached message (image) in the Embedded development tool section.

Though it always ends up in the "my rejected items" of my unmoderated items - without telling me why.

Can anyone explain what is wrong with the post?

Why are they rejected.

rejected_part1_a.png

rejected_part1.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @xilinxacct and @peimann

As you can see the topic is pretty old - above a year old, so don't have the content from the original post more.

@peimann - No problem with attaching text files. The problem was as you can see in the original post creating the post with the content as the images.

Sound plausible with a character problem. Notice the direct copy from the device tree.

As the time has passed, I will just close the topic.

Merry christmas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

@frosteyes

Can you send a file attachment of this post? I suspect some of the characters conflict with HTML.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello @frosteyes,

I assume that you are experiencing difficulty with attached text files, and not image files. 

The problem is that raw text files seem to be rejected in all instances, so I simply upload archives containing the single file. 

Under windows a simple "right-click" and "Send to|Compressed (zipped) folder" will do the trick. 

Using Linux, "tar czf fyle-name.tar.gzip fyle-name" should create a suitable file.  Or "zip fyle-name.zip fyle-name"

There are several reasons that I can postulate as to why, all of which I consider completely valid, including:

• data proximity
  • storage volume
  • prevent automated file-typing errors
  • content obfuscation

Data proximity is an important issue when dealing with bugs.  For example, say I have a buggy zip, and there are three run-time outputs related to the bug.  Which file is the output associated with the script?  Were any changes made?  There is another file, is it associated with a particular log file?  What else may be missing?

• Often, it makes sense to include all files related to a bug in a single ".zip" file. 
  • Meta-data (including time-stamp) are generally lost during the up-load process. 
  • When working on a problem, often it is valuable to include all files associated with a test into a single ".zip" file.  This way the progress of the solution is maintained consistently without files being lost or a wrong version accidentally ruining a test and wasting peoples' time

Storage volume is a problem, imaging people uploading megabyte size text files, where compressed (zipped) the same is a fifth of the size. 

• Server storage space is not free. 
  • Often, the log files required to diagnose a problem will require (many) megabytes. 

Automated file typing is commonplace - for example, the "file" command under Linux tells us what sort a file is, what its interpreter is required, what system it was compiled for (if any), and other details.  New file formats are being created every year.  This means that a valid text file today might be misrecognized next year. 

• Many files are identified by a short character sequence in the first few bytes, for example a ".gif" file (specifically GIF-89a) begins with the character sequence "GIF89a".  Now, imagine you were uploading a file "GIF89a is a useful image transfer format....". 
  • Browsers receiving files will often apply file-typing to the received file, that they may display the file intelligibly for the user.  Imagine what your browser might do to XML which was uploaded as text. 

Content obfuscation might be the goal of a malicious organization. 

• Imagine a virus of some sort uploaded as a text file.  Would the browser just execute that file?  In the past, this is what would happen. 
  • There are many executable file types, not just Windows ".exe" files. 

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Peimann, S. M.
----
Toddlers are the Storm-Troopers of the Great God Entropy.
Physics: Not Just a Good Idea, It's THE LAW.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @xilinxacct and @peimann

As you can see the topic is pretty old - above a year old, so don't have the content from the original post more.

@peimann - No problem with attaching text files. The problem was as you can see in the original post creating the post with the content as the images.

Sound plausible with a character problem. Notice the direct copy from the device tree.

As the time has passed, I will just close the topic.

Merry christmas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos