UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xilinx supported Ethernet PHY devices for Virtex-6 LX240T FPGA

Hi,

The ML605 evaluation board uses Marvell Alaska PHY device (88E1111) for Ethernet communications at 10, 100, or 1000 Mb/s.

Since Marvell PHY device is not in stock we are planning to use DP83848I part from TI(or National semi) so please let me know, Whether xilinx virtex-6 device supports TI(or National semi) part or not?

Thanks

Prashant 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: Xilinx supported Ethernet PHY devices for Virtex-6 LX240T FPGA

The ML605 evaluation board uses Marvell Alaska PHY device (88E1111) for Ethernet communications at 10, 100, or 1000 Mb/s.  Since Marvell PHY device is not in stock we are planning to use DP83848I part from TI(or National semi) so please let me know, Whether xilinx virtex-6 device supports TI(or National semi) part or not?

The Virtex-6 interface to the Marvell 88E1111 PHY is an industry standard interface -- it is not device-specific.  For that matter, the implementation uses standard FPGA hardware features, no dedicated or special-purpose hardware is involved.

Having said that, the TI/NatSemi PHY you are planning to use supports 10/100BT, but does not support 1000BT.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Thanks Bob,

Yes, you are write.We need 10/100mbps.

Please let me know, Can i you TI(or national) part for virtex-6 FPGA? or Do you have a document related to "xilinx supported ethernet phy devices"?

Thanks and Regards,

Prashant.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

The part you want to use (DP83848I) uses standard MII - media independent interface supported by Virtex-6 embedded TEMACs and MII serial management interface with MDC and MDIO, and therefore should have no problem working together.

Teacher eteam00
Teacher

As wuher stated, there is no problem using this PHY with any of the Xilinx FPGA device families.

Suggest you learn more about Media Independent Interface (MII) and Serial Management Interface (SMI).  These are related industry standards for interface between an ethernet MAC and a PHY.  Wikipedia has articles for each of these.  The PHY datasheet also describes these interfaces well.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos

Thanks Wuher and Bob for your help.

I will check MII standard

Regards,
Prashant

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

From the bullets at the top of the 83848I data sheet:

• 3.3V MAC Interface

That may be a problem for V6.  You may want to look for a part that supports 2.5V I/O on the

MAC interface (MII) side.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

From the bullets at the top of the 83848I data sheet:

• 3.3V MAC Interface

Good catch, Gabor.  That's a show-stopper for Virtex-6.

Most 100BT and 10BT PHYs require 3.3V IOs, while most 1000BT PHYs support 2.5V IOs.

The simplest solution for Virtex-6 applications may be a 1000BT PHY, even if it is used only for 10/100BT.

Vitesse and NatSemi (TI) both offer such parts (in addition to Marvell and Broadcom).  Once again, DigiKey.com has a very helpful search engine for finding such parts.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos