UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer arunjadhav
Observer

chipscope analyser issues

Hello every one,

I am using Virtex - 5 LX330T fpga and i have used around 88% of my DSP slices.

Now there are few particular signals when i try to monitor them i get a error message stating that ia m falling short of DSP slices but Chipscope monitoring should only effect my BRAM cells not DSP slices.

can anyone please help me out to find some alternative or the reason for it.

Regards,

Arun jadhav.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: chipscope analyser issues

To work around the issue of too many DSP being inferred, reduce the DSP utilization ratio to < 100. 

This option can be found in the XST options within Project Navigator, or it can be changed from the command line by setting the "-dsp_utilization_ratio <integer>" switch

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> can anyone please help me out to find some alternative or the reason for it.

In the design with ChipScope, parts of your design that are inferring are likely being removed as the outputs are not used and when you insert ChipScope in the design the outputs are now connected and the inferred DSP48 are no longer removed.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Observer arunjadhav
Observer

Hello sir,

Thank you for your reply, To be specific i was trying to moniter the fifo read enable signals and that was getting connected to other fifo write enable but i dont find any purpose of DSP slice requirement there in that context.

Regards,

Arun jadhav

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I would suggest that you examine the synthesis and map report files for the two designs to see if there is a difference in the trimming information that may provide an answer.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

In our old Spartan 3 devices I remember similar issues. Some BRAM and DSP block shared routing resources and that prevented the use of some of them.

If you add Chipscope it will use up BRAM which might not be able to be used becuase the routing is already used up by your DSP blocks. You might be able to free a few of those by changing the multiplier implementation to Behavioral on a few DSPs.

Regards Markus

0 Kudos