UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controlling FPAA using FPGA

Hi

I'm doing my dissertation on "implementation of IEEE 1451.4 mixed mode communication protocol using FPAA and FPGA". For this I need to control the FPAA by using FPGA. That is I need to send the configuration bit file of FPAA through RS232 port of FPGA to the Rs 232 port of FPAA. The bit file will then be collected by the pic microcontroller available on the FPAA kit and that 'll be loaded onto FPAA. So I'm new to FPGA and I'm finding difficulty in writing VHDL code for sending bit file to Rs 232 port. Can anyone please help me

Thanks and Regards

Sruthi

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: controlling FPAA using FPGA

sruthimanchala wrote:

Hi

I'm doing my dissertation on "implementation of IEEE 1451.4 mixed mode communication protocol using FPAA and FPGA". For this I need to control the FPAA by using FPGA. That is I need to send the configuration bit file of FPAA through RS232 port of FPGA to the Rs 232 port of FPAA. The bit file will then be collected by the pic microcontroller available on the FPAA kit and that 'll be loaded onto FPAA. So I'm new to FPGA and I'm finding difficulty in writing VHDL code for sending bit file to Rs 232 port. Can anyone please help me

Thanks and Regards

Sruthi

FPGAs don't have RS232 ports.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos

Sir

I'm using Spartan 3e kit and it has a RS232 port 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I think that what bassman meant was that a RS-232 port is not an integral part of an FPGA and modern FPGAs need a RS-232 transceiver in order to meet the electrical specifications. 

I think that a Dissertation title of "implementation of IEEE 1451.4 mixed mode communication protocol using FPAA and FPGA" is a misleading if the FPGA isn't integral to the solution space.  If the FPGA is just sending a few bits of setup information to the FPAA then that wouldn't be integral to the solution.  Hopefully, you are actually using the FPGA as the 1451.4 instrument with GUI and/or Network Stack and the FPAA is 1451.4 transducer that is measuring something interesting.  This would seem like an interesting Junior or Senior level project, but it seems a bit light weight for Masters Dissertation.

The easiest way forward for you is likely to get a Microblaze design up and running on the Spartan-3E kit that you.  The board should have a number of reference designs available to get you started and at least one them is probably using the RS-232 port.  If you go down this path you should post any following questions to the EDK forums.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos