UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor cecillove
Visitor

create_generated_clock in xdc for clock-enables

Hello: In my circuit, I have manaully transformed the gated clock to a flop enable the main clock. But now I can't seem to do a derived clock on this flop to specify constraints. Is there a way to specify create_generated_clock in xdc for this case even though now the gating logic is on the enable and the main clock is driving clock pin of the flop. I need to do this otherwise everything looks very critical to the tool.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: create_generated_clock in xdc for clock-enables

For clock enables there is no need to generate a new clock. The system runs and is timed at the previous clock period. The interesting part for clock gating is that it is there for power and not for timing. The enable or gating of the clock usually comes in a non-periodic fashion so the output is not a generated clock of a different period but the original clock with random edges missing. If your gating is such that it guarantees at least x missing edges you can set a multi-cycle constraint. If you have a clock gate which works as a clock divider, you can do generated clock on it and when you convert it to a clock enable, you can use multi-cycle constraints to get a similar timing effect.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor cecillove
Visitor

Re: create_generated_clock in xdc for clock-enables

hi, using multicycle -from <enable> -to  like this results in a lot of constraints and report_drc <timing_checks> complains that this is a lot of exceptions.

0 Kudos