// TODO ought to parameterise, but this should be fine (4800 baud is
// one byte every 2ms approx)
if (demux_timeout & 24'h800000)
begin
demux_state <= 0;
demux_timeout <= 0;
end"

The complete code can be found at

I am unable to understand what the condition "if (demux_timeout & 24'h800000)" evaluates? I read that if condition can have either a value of 1 (true) or 0(false). But in the above example the arguments of the AND operation: "demux_timeout" and "24'h800000" are 24 bit wide so performing bitwise-AND ('&') will result in a 24 bit output so how does the if condition sets to 1 bit 1 or 0?

Please help.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

The expression passed to if is converted boolean by a non-zero check ie (exp != 0). This has a value of 1 if all bits of the expression are zero and a value of zero if any of the bits are set. It is also similar to a 'reduction or'
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

"The expression passed to if is converted boolean by a non-zero check ie (exp != 0). This has a value of 1 if all bits of the expression are zero and a value of zero if any of the bits are set. It is also similar to a 'reduction or'" .

I checked in simulation that if demux_timeout is 24'h800000 in a clock pulse then demux_timeout <= 0; is executed the next clock pulse and then onwards demux_timeout gets incremented by 1 until it again becomes 24'h800000 and the process repeats. So demux_timeout behaves as a counter whose last value is 24'h800000 after which it again goes to 0 and repeats counting incrementing by 1 each clock pulse.So the if condition is getting a value of 1 when demux_timeout is 24'h800000 that is the result of the '&' operation in the if condition is 24'h800000 so MSB is set when if is getting a 1 unlike you said that all bits need to be zero for the if expression to get a value of 1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Yeah, the polarity in my answer is inverted. The value is zero if all the bits of the expression are zero and 1 if any of the bits are set. The latter description is correct in the sense that this is the behavior of a 'reduction-or'.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos