UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie time_trap

how to design a small cpu to display VGA picture use verilog language(and MIPS)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: how to design a small cpu to display VGA picture use verilog language(and MIPS)

(1) Select an FPGA board

(2) Read all relevant documentation on the FPGA board you've selected

(3) Select a HDL

(4) Learn that HDL

(5) The remainder is straightforward and is left as an exercise for the reader.

Generally speaking - you don't use a CPU to run a VGA output. It'll just be a small amount of fixed-purpose hardware that pulls pixels from RAM and puts them on the display. Doing it with a CPU is difficult (have to get everything finished on exactly the right clock cycle).

Newbie time_trap

Re: how to design a small cpu to display VGA picture use verilog language(and MIPS)

our teacher told us to design a CPU to finish the class design,exactly the designing of CPU is the main task ,thanks for your advices.I will try it
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

I would clarify with your teacher what you are expected to do:

(1) Design a CPU that loads data into RAM (or elsewhere) so that it can be displayed via VGA. By far the most difficult part of this is talking to RAM, at least if you're using off-chip DDR RAM.

(2) Design some hardware (not a general-purpose CPU) to produce a VGA display. This seems most likely, to me. Not a very difficult project; just google "Verilog VGA controller".

(3) Implement a MIPS CPU (from your title) for some purpose. This could be similar to (1), except that now the architecture is defined.

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

@time_trap,

I'm really not sure if this will help at all, but ... I know I would struggle with being able to "know" if my VGA generating code worked without being able to visually simulate it.  You can find an open source VGA simulator here, together with an example of the basic copy-from-RAM to video logic that you are going to need.  Perhaps you might find that useful here.

Dan

0 Kudos
Newbie time_trap

thank you ,I will try it

0 Kudos