UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rizi786
Visitor

image processing in vhdl / verilog

Hi i am working on FPGA. As i am new in vhdl so i do not know how to deal with images in vhdl. i want to read an image that is already stored in PC memory. please can you help me how i can read an image from PC memory and store it in the FPGA ROM ? (i want to do this in verilog or vhdl) your help will be appreciated. Thank you Rizi
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mentor awillen
Mentor

Re: image processing in vhdl / verilog

Hello Rizi,

I suppose you're new to digital design and FPGAs, is that correct? If yes, then the best option for you is to transfer the image using the serial port. This is quite slow – how large are your images?

Adrian

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Do you know this fellow?  Are you both taking the same course?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor rizi786
Visitor

Thanks for reply

i am working on real time visual tracking project.

i have setup image processing pipeline.
now i want to save small template (greyscale frame i.e 120x150 ) in ROM, and i want to recal that template for comparison on each frame of video stream,during the process when video streaming will be flowing through the FPGA board.

The video is flowing at 60 frames per sec and it is in NTSC 4:2:2 formate.

Thank you

Rizi

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

clarifications

i have setup image processing pipeline.
now i want to save small template (greyscale frame i.e 120x150 ) in ROM, and i want to recal that template for comparison on each frame of video stream,during the process when video streaming will be flowing through the FPGA board.

120x150 x 8bit pixels = 141Kbits (roughly).  You could conceivably store this size reference frame in on-chip block RAM.  Or you could store it in off-chip PROM, with some user logic for accessing the frame in PROM.

The video is flowing at 60 frames per sec and it is in NTSC 4:2:2 formate.

NTSC is a composite ~30FPS interlaced format.  There is no such thing as "NTSC 4:2:2".

Let's try describing the video input again:

• interlaced or progressive
  • Frame size in pixels (width and number of lines)
  • frame rate
  • composite or component RGB or component YUV

Do you have the time to spend learning FPGA design?  Or do you want to focus your efforts to design the image processing algorithm and hire someone else to help with FPGA implementation?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Visitor rizi786
Visitor

Re: clarifications

Hi

Yeah, i have spent time to learn FPGA. but still not perfect.

Daughter-card accept the video in composite NTSC formate 30 FPS, and convert it into YCbCr (8bit data) with BT656 formate.
the video is interlaced 60 Hz.
Frame size is 1027x768.
(i am not clear about the difference 60 Hz and 30 FPS)

some discussion about Project:

Further i want to convert this video to greyscale (by setting Cb and Cr to zero).

(As i want to implement tracking algorithm cross correlation)

In cross correlation algorithm,

1st of all we will normalize each frame in the video, then we will take small part of each frame (8x8 or 12x12) and apply FFT on it.
At the same time a small template would be already stored in the FPGA ROM (this template we have to track in the video stream),
we will apply FFT on it and multiply it with each frame of video.
(it is also possible to store the FFT template image that we will multiply with each frame of real time video)
The multiplication in frequency domain is just like convolution in time domain. So, when we plot this multiplication on graph then we will get the maximum peak (where the template image will exactly match in the video frames). That maximum peak is the location of small template image in the video frames.
Then apply IFFT.
Then de-normalize the video.
We will find offset (the location of template image in the real time video stream).

and finally display the video to vga port.

Thank You
Rizi
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Yeah, i have spent time to learn FPGA. but still not perfect.

Few of us are perfect, and the rest are liars.  <== oops, this came out wrong

Most of us are not perfect, and the rest are liars.  <=== this is what I meant to say

Sounds like fun!

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Visitor bharat8989
Visitor

hi

i m also doing d same project .i m processing a image store in pc .

can u plz tel me

1.which kit should i prefer for processing my image for its enhancement ,its pixel clearity

2. how to transfer a image from pc to that kit

3.i m applying nufft algorithm ????what actually it is.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

sir, i want to implement edge detection using canny or adm edge detector and linking algo on xilinx using vhdl.

so please tell me which format of image is suitable for this algo and how i can load the image..

0 Kudos
Visitor atin
Visitor

I am also working in Video signal processing...Plz help me...to read the Video signal which is in .avi format using VHDL and output should be .mp4 format....Actually I am just the beginner.Plez help me in Video processing using VHDL and FPGA board...I have Virtex 5 board...Please help me...
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@atin wrote:
I am also working in Video signal processing...Plz help me...to read the Video signal which is in .avi format using VHDL and output should be .mp4 format....Actually I am just the beginner.Plez help me in Video processing using VHDL and FPGA board...I have Virtex 5 board...Please help me...

Jeez, people, do you even put one iota of thought into these homework problems?

How do you get the video data to the board? How do you get it out of the board? Do you have code to do whatever transformations are required? 

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie felding

im curious about image processing for my image work andi think the images processing in vhdl is alomst same as long as the language is same, and this is image processing code in c # in my image work, hope it can help. and you also can check this open source to see more detail. http://stackoverflow.com/

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

thank you for you image processing code, i believe it will work great. but for some VB developer. they may looking for VB image processor to do some image processing work and read image.

0 Kudos

hi all,

i am going to do image processing in fpga.i want to know the coding for transferring the image from pc to fpga.so please help me.thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @michealammal

As pointed in this thread, please refer to http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Virtex-Family-FPGAs/image-processing-in-virtex5/m-p/119158 for basic info.

Please open a new thread only if you have any specific query regarding Xilinx products and usage, 

Thanks,

Tushar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer ("Accept as solution") in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post guided you to the solution.
This will help others in the long run

0 Kudos

thanks for ur reply.i am not able to understand.so please help me for how to write the vhdl coding for tranfering the image in to fpga

0 Kudos