Jump to solution

Hey, I have a code as follow:

process(clk)

variable list_head : element_ptr := NULL;
variable temp_elem : element_ptr := NULL;
variable last_clk : std_logic := 'U';
begin

end process

my question:  1. the 'list_head' and the other variables are initialized everytime when the process is triggered?

2. is 'list_head' visible out of the process? If the 'list_head' is changed to a signal, is it visible out of the process?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hgleamon1
Teacher
Teacher

1. No. Initialisations are power-on values only (and quite distinct from a reset value). Your question shows quite a "software" mentality. You need to think about it in terms of hardware (FFs). How would it be "initialised"? How useful would it be if it were "initialised" every clock (as you have a clocked process)?

2. No, variables cannot be used outside of their defining process. Making the variable a signal will allow it be used by other processes (note that you should only assign a value to a signal in ONE process).

Regards,

Howard

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hgleamon1
Teacher
Teacher

1. No. Initialisations are power-on values only (and quite distinct from a reset value). Your question shows quite a "software" mentality. You need to think about it in terms of hardware (FFs). How would it be "initialised"? How useful would it be if it were "initialised" every clock (as you have a clocked process)?

2. No, variables cannot be used outside of their defining process. Making the variable a signal will allow it be used by other processes (note that you should only assign a value to a signal in ONE process).

Regards,

Howard

----------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
weilings
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you very much for your reply.

As for the "Hardware" mentality, I will try.

What do you mean by "assign in ONE process"? Do you mean we can "read" the signal in many processes, but can "write" in ONE process? 

0 Kudos
hgleamon1
Teacher
Teacher

Regarding signal assignments, that's exactly what I mean.

It's a situation that trips up many people, newbies and more experienced designers (although usually with more complex designs) and can be a source of simulation frustration.

Good luck.

----------
0 Kudos