Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

pip in switch box is buffered?

Jump to solution

I used XDL to export the detail circuit inside the switch box, and found all pips are "->" which means buffered I guess. so it means there is no unbuffered pip in switch matrix?

I am using virtex5 LX110t and spartan 3a xc3s700a.

thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher
Just because they have a patent doesn't mean that they have to always use it.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar
j,

All interconnect is buffered since Virtex.
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Austin,

Thanks for your quick response! But I found even in Spartan3A, it is also buffered... However, regarding to patent attached (filed by Sridhar Krishnamurthy from Xilinx), it should be able to configured to buffered or unbuffered... This patent is not used in any Xilinx FPGA?

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

However, regarding to patent attached (filed by Sridhar Krishnamurthy from Xilinx), it should be able to configured to buffered or unbuffered... This patent is not used in any Xilinx FPGA?

I try to avoid the FPGA editor, since the 3K and 4K days (when the FPGA editor was unavoidable).  But I can vouch for the use of buffered and un-buffered PIPs and buffers in 3K and 4K switch boxes.  So yes, they exist in Xilinx FPGAs.

Haven't read the patent, so I can't speak to that.  Is an academic paper the root of your interest, or are you interested in bringing your own line of FPGAs to market?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

I am trying to build some abnormal circuit on the FPGA... that's the reason I need to be clear about its internal connection. And obviously, buffer is not what I want at the moment for interconnection. So my question is how to configure it to be unbuffered if the patent mentioned above is valid in any Xilinx FPGA.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
rcingham
Teacher
Teacher
Just because they have a patent doesn't mean that they have to always use it.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jamesjisun
Visitor
Visitor

reasonable ...

0 Kudos
austin
Scholar
Scholar
j,

We do not discuss what we use, or do not use.

FPGAEditor is a programmer's invention to describe the hardware: it is a fantasy, a convenient construction. It has little basis in reality. Sounds like you are doing something very very dangerous.

What is it, and why?
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos