cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

printout of a page from the Xilinx website is missing pieces of text

I know it's 2020, and we should think of the trees, but sometimes I find it easier to read an AR# on paper, same goes for a long forum thread. In that case I print the AR# or post or whatever from the Xilinx website. However, there are always parts missing at the top and bottom on each paper-page, see for example a printout of AR 71961 :

for example on the webpage, there is this table:

webpage.png

printed to A4 paper it looks like this :

paper copy.JPG

Can this be improved ?

@stacias  can you check this with the web-team please?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Re: printout of a page from the Xilinx website is missing pieces of text

Hi @ronnywebers,

Thanks for reporting. Is the missing table header visable on the previous page, or missing completely?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I seem to rember I had this a while back,

to which the "answer" was to prunt to pdf,

then print the pdf to paper, and ensure fit to page is turned on,

or it could be fit to page when you prin to pdf ! 

I know no answer, i put it down to xilinx being US is the world and not kowing about A4 sizes,,,,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@stacias  the table header is missing completely, it's not on the previous page. If you want I can upload a few more examples tomorrow - if your team cannot reproduce it on your side. Also on the top of the page, the url is not completely visible (looks like some top/bottom margin issue, but I'm not an expert in that)

@drjohnsmith I tried to print to pdf, hoped this would work, but it's the same issue. I used Chrome for that test on windows 7. I also tried in Safari, in that case there's no msising text, but the scaling is wrong, like 3 times too big characters...  

probably a sign from The Woods hat I should not print on paper :-) 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @ronnywebers 

I got correct pdf file by firefox 68.4.1 esr on CentOS 6.

So, it seems an environment issue...

Would you try other web browser to generate pdf file ?

Best regards,

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@watari I tried to create pdf's in 5 different ways - all look different, see attachments. The filenames describe what I did to create the pdf's.

The best - and only 'complete' pdf is number 2, printed to pdf using Safari (Mac OS)

Also, file 4 is interesting : I turned on one of the options in the Chrome print to pdf dialog : 'background graphics on'. That turns on the Xilinx logo and puts it over the table 'ZCU102 impact' on page - but it also makes the missing header visible ... though both are layed on top of each other.

I'm using Mac OS, and currently at home where I have a HP laserjet printer installed. I'm suspecting that not only the browser makes a difference, but also the printer driver - it's probably used to generate the pdf when going through the print dialog (?). So at work we have a way bigger Konica Minolta printer, I'll try to generate the pdf's with that driver and check the difference tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @ronnywebers 

>Also, file 4 is interesting : I turned on one of the options in the Chrome print to pdf dialog : 'background graphics on'. That turns on the Xilinx logo and puts it over the table 'ZCU102 impact' on page - but it also makes the missing header visible ... though both are layed on top of each other.

It's interesting.

It might be quarz issue on MacOS or interpolation issue for css and jpeg by browser...

Best regards,

Teacher
Teacher

Well chased up,

I would have used either acrobat , microsoft or foxit pdf printers , which did you use in the browser ?
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>