UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

reg. clock freq and estimated freq attainable ... xilinx/synplify ....

I was using Synplify pro for RTL synthesis.

I am using 2 xilinx coregen PLLs, one to generate 125MHz, one to generate 80MHz.

When I use a clock of 125MHz, then the timing report comes out showing about 105MHz.

However when  I use 80MHz in place of the 125MHz, then for some reason the timing report comes out showing a max. of about 30MHz.

I did check the synplify reports and for the 125MHz case, it shows requested period as 8ns. – which is correct for 125MHz.

But for 80 MHz case, the report starts to show a requested period of 1.2ns! – I am not sure how this can happen.

I have checked my PLL and it is generating the proper freq. I am only constraining the PLL input. 

could there be a situation where if the freq falls below a certain value then the RTL code would get synthesized out or something?

In what case would a 80MHz speed give 30MHz in best case freq but 125MHz give 105MHz?

Do let me know …

Thanks and regards,

Zubin Kumar.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: reg. clock freq and estimated freq attainable ... xilinx/synplify ....

Ignore Synplify's timing estimates. The only numbers that matter are those generated by the post-place-and-route timing analyzer.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

even if i target the specific xilinx FPGA, do i still not reply on the synplify timing estimate?

i agree that the final say is xilinx post PAR report, but as a first pass, can we not rely on synplify reports at all? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

I'm surprised Synplify is getting this wrong.  All the tools I've used for Xilinx FPGAs - Synplify/ISE/Vivado - all have always managed to time correctly through the PLLs/MMCMs/etc.  It's always just worked, without me having do to anything.

If it were me, I spend a few minutes investigating the log files/etc. to try and puzzle out what's going on.  You're not doing anything "creative" beyond just constraining the input clock period?

But from your description it sounds like a Synplify problem.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos