UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie mmmedra

state diagrams

Hi

In Xilinx 12.2  I can't found a new source state file ( used to make Moore /Mealy machines) as in xilinx 10.1,

Is there an alternative in xilinx 12.2 or not? , why it is not supported any more?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: state diagrams

@mmmedra wrote:

Hi

In Xilinx 12.2  I can't found a new source state file ( used to make Moore /Mealy machines) as in xilinx 10.1,

Is there an alternative in xilinx 12.2 or not? , why it is not supported any more?

Thanks in advance

it's been deprecated, and that fact has been noted here many times as well as noted in the various Xilinx docs.

Xilinx does not provide an alternative. Aldec does. It's not supported because state-diagram tools suck and generate unmaintainable code.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie mendezv

What a shame.  Only the newbies get lost with the diagram tools and only the oldies hate stumbling on friggin typos.  Bring back the state diagram tools for those of us who need to get things done quickly!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Bring back the state diagram tools for those of us who need to get things done quickly!!!

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone...  How much do you think the tool is worth, and how many licenses do you think can be sold?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

At a previous employment, we were mandated to use Mentor HDL Designer, which has a State Machine entry tool. Eventually I was able to configure it to generate VHDL quite like that I would have written, which was nice. I would not spend any time at all trying to persuade management to buy that or a similar tool, however.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos