Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmitrip
Visitor
Visitor

understanding GMACS and DSP slices

Jump to solution

Hello,  

I notice that "DSP throughput (symmetric filter)" is given in units of GMACS for the Virtex-7 family (up to 6,737 GMACS) (here: http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/virtex-7/index.htm).  Multiplication and accumulation is great, but could someone help me understand what operations are being counted?  I see that the Virtex-7's have a few thousand DSP slices, but I'm not sure what Xilinx has in mind to get that performance (apparently not 1 MAC per DSP slice per clock cycle).

I would like to do digital filtering in single or double precision, probably using a xilinx floating-point core, and would like to understand how many multiply accumulate operations I can get out of a given board.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

GMACS = Giga MAC per second, so it also depends on the clock frequency DSP block is operating at. Each DSP48 block in Virtex7 has a pre-adder in it, so it can do two MAC's ((A+D)*B) per clock cycle. The Fmax of DSP48 block in Virtex7 is 638MHz (-3 speed grade), so here is how 6737GMACS is calculated:

Max GMACS = 5280 DSPs * 638MHz * 2 = 6737 GMACs

@dmitrip wrote:

Hello,  

I notice that "DSP throughput (symmetric filter)" is given in units of GMACS for the Virtex-7 family (up to 6,737 GMACS) (here: http://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/virtex-7/index.htm).  Multiplication and accumulation is great, but could someone help me understand what operations are being counted?  I see that the Virtex-7's have a few thousand DSP slices, but I'm not sure what Xilinx has in mind to get that performance (apparently not 1 MAC per DSP slice per clock cycle).

I would like to do digital filtering in single or double precision, probably using a xilinx floating-point core, and would like to understand how many multiply accumulate operations I can get out of a given board.  

Thanks

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

GMACS = Giga MAC per second, so it also depends on the clock frequency DSP block is operating at. Each DSP48 block in Virtex7 has a pre-adder in it, so it can do two MAC's ((A+D)*B) per clock cycle. The Fmax of DSP48 block in Virtex7 is 638MHz (-3 speed grade), so here is how 6737GMACS is calculated:

Max GMACS = 5280 DSPs * 638MHz * 2 = 6737 GMACs

@dmitrip wrote:

Hello,  

Thanks

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

southernduck
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ywu,

May I know what specific chip are you talking about?
And May I know the precision of the MAC operation in this context?

Thanks & Best Regards,
southernduck
0 Kudos