UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use normal IO as clk input

I have an usb-ic connected to a spartan 6

The usb-ic generates a clock of 60MHz which I want to use as a clock signal in the fpga.

But I did not connect this signal to a clock dedicated pin, but to a normal input pin.

I use this signal directly in a process with this input in the sensitivity list and on the rising edge.

This however gives many data errors. I suspect this is due to jitter of the clock signal.

Can I use a PLL to make a well-defined clock signal out of this input?

Or should I use another method to avoid these problems?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: use normal IO as clk input

> This however gives many data errors. I suspect this is due to jitter of the clock signal.

The problem is that the timing relationship is no longer guaranteed due to part of the clock path using standard interconnect and this route may vary from run to run.

> Can I use a PLL to make a well-defined clock signal out of this input?

Using a PLL or MMCM may help with phase shifting the clock to compensate for some of the timing.

> Or should I use another method to avoid these problems?

A board spin should be done to fix this, but you should start with verifying that you have your IO timing setup/hold correctly defined in your timing constraints.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I would guess that you are most likely seeing hold errors due to the long clock routing delay.  It's possible that this could be fixed as easily as inverting the input clock (using the opposite edge), but I only suggest this because 60 MHz is pretty slow.  Whether you can use this method also depends on the size of the data valid window.  At higher data rates, or for smaller data valid windows you might need to use dynamic clock phase adjustment to compensate for the large min to max timing of the non-dedicated clock routes.

In any case I doubt that jitter is the primary cause of the problem.  I wouldn't expect the non-dedicated route to add very much to the jitter.  I does add to the uncertainty (min to max delay over process, temperature and voltage) with respect to using dedicated clock routes.  That's why it's not recommended when you need to have a known phase relationship to external signals.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

are you looking at the timing report to check the path and see if you are meeting timing? It is possible that you have a large (and variable based on pvt) delay on the clock signal which is causing timing errors. Because 60 mhz is relatively slow you might be able to compensate for the delay by using IDELAY. Another option is to just invert the clock and run timing again. It is very likely that this will fix most of your problems.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Ideally, it is only recommended to drive the clock signal through the clock capable IO's. If you are driving the clock signal through the normal IO's there can be jitter problems as this pins is not for clock driving. 

However also check the timing constraints PERIOD and OFFSET IN/OUT constraints have been correctly set. You can find the information on these constraints from the UG612 - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/ug612.pdf

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos